Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

TEA lasers: Replacing The Nitrogen

Hi all.
So recently ive just made a 120kv 127mA high voltage dc power supply. With it I plan to make a TEA laser and a throught crossed my mind. Is it possible to pressurise a chamber between the two electrodes with argon gas and expect it to lase with a blue~ light? I find changing the color of the laser light with dyes incredible inconvient, and the mirrors associated with it become expensive, although i do have a budget of 200aud (which is more than enough) I would prefer not to spend more than 50 bucks.
I havnt found many documented cases of using argon as a laseing medium for TEA lasers or perhaps its my terrible researching skills. Has anyone pulled off something like this?

Also since TEA lasers output extremely strong pulses of UV is there a risk here of burns? Or if under prolonged use: skin cancer?

has anyone used a different gas to operate a TEA laser? Obviously under a pressurised environment

Is there a way to calculate the rough output of the laser?

Will OD 5 laser goggles be sufficient for protection or would it be wise to order a new pair before i turn it on.

My power supply is a cockroft walton voltage multiplier so i have the freedom to change the voltage, im not stuck at 120kv: i just thought that may be important.
Although i understand voltages that high are absolutely not nessasary.

Eidetical

Don't recall hearing about any TEA lasers other than nitrogen or CO2. Argon certainly won't work.

Yeah I only have a cursory knowledge of gas lasers, but I'm pretty sure argon lasers are a lot more complex than simply creating a discharge through argon gas, IIRC the gain is pretty low so it takes a lot of input energy to get even a small output, not to mention you'd probably need to design a really good resonator.

Yeah, I've got a single line argon laser and it is far more complex than just exciting argon gas in a chamber.

Yeah I only have a cursory knowledge of gas lasers, but I'm pretty sure argon lasers are a lot more complex than simply creating a discharge through argon gas, IIRC the gain is pretty low so it takes a lot of input energy to get even a small output, not to mention you'd probably need to design a really good resonator.
Ah alright. Thank you for the information. It was really just an ignorent approach.

Eidetical

Wasn't being defensive. Just didn't want to spend 15 minutes typing out the basics of gas lasers to save you 5 minutes of searching for your answer on this site or Google. And your questioning my reply told me you didn't bother to look at my profile or any of my other posts, or click on my signature links to see who gave you an answer. Nothing personal and I applaud your curiosity. Welcome to the forum!

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Because I've been working with lasers of many types since 1980.
Wasn't being defensive. Just didn't want to spend 15 minutes typing out the basics of gas lasers to save you 5 minutes of searching for your answer on this site or Google. And your questioning my reply told me you didn't bother to look at my profile or any of my other posts, or click on my signature links to see who gave you an answer. Nothing personal and I applaud your curiosity. Welcome to the forum!
You need to check that attitude Eidetical. The guy wasn't asking to be spoon fed. He merely asked what you meant by what you said. If you don't want to back up what you say to people then don't bother in the first place. You've got a very aggressive attitude and I would appreciate you keeping it in check especially with new members who don't have your vast knowledge.

kecked

The only other gas I found was XeCl. Which is expensive, toxic, and not recommended. It’s part of an eximer laser. Seems argon is used as a buffer in some nitrogen lasers but by itself does not lase. Same with helium. Google is your friend for these questions. I would not have know this had I not looked. Have fun and be careful the uv off these lasers is really powerful and bad for your eyes. Since you can’t see it anyway wear uv rated glasses. Polycarbonate works pretty well. Look up dye lasers.

Eidetical

"You need to check that attitude Eidetical." I disagree. What's got your knickers all in a twist?

Last edited:

Eidetical

You're bringing drama where there is none. I'm done responding to your continued off topic harassment. Go back to your "fight club", please stop bringing such conflict into everything else, and keep it about lasers. Or holography (in my case).