Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

successfully lase Pr YLF crystal

That is a very interesting project. It looks like a very solid setup. Thanks for sharing it.
Why did you chose a V shaped cavity design? Just for ease of finding suitable optics or for another reason.
Are there any other laserists near you with a laser power meter you could borrow?

kecked

Can you post a few more pictures of the setup. I am interested to see how the crystal is mounted.

cuijianw

That is a very interesting project. It looks like a very solid setup. Thanks for sharing it.
Why did you chose a V shaped cavity design? Just for ease of finding suitable optics or for another reason.
Are there any other laserists near you with a laser power meter you could borrow?
Because all the materials are paid by my self, so the cancave OCs are difficult to find and very expensive. I just buy a cheap cancave HR, and form V style cavity so I can use cheap flat mirros.
I do not know where is the power meter but I think I could try to find one.

cuijianw

Can you post a few more pictures of the setup. I am interested to see how the crystal is mounted.
The crystal is mounted in a aluminum tray made by my self. Its diameter is 20 mm, with 6 mm thick. fixed by a screw column. Looking like the picture:
The tray will mounted on the holder.

Attachments

• 屏幕快照 2020-02-06 09.21.49.png
    屏幕快照 2020-02-06 09.21.49.png
    564 KB · Views: 28
  • 屏幕快照 2020-02-06 09.25.32.png
    屏幕快照 2020-02-06 09.25.32.png
    357.6 KB · Views: 31

kecked

Thanks for the information. Can you post a picture from the top so I can see the full layout? I am thinking to try building this but take that last mirror and replace it with a grating to make it an external cavity style v fold. Wondering if I can tune the cavity then and have a shot at mode locking it. Unlikely.

do you think the crystal could handle being pumped with a 5-9w 445nm diode? Not sure what the absorbsnce spectrum looks like.

have you tried modulation yet? Curious to see if it would be a 2w or so 640nm replacement for multi mode diodes. My actual use is if I get mode locked to try and replace out some picosecond dye lasers.

also thinking to set this up like a ti:sap. And double end pump it. Just take time and money. Something I am in short supply of!

this is really exciting to see. I was unable to source the crystal before for under 1000usd.

Last edited:

cuijianw

Thanks for the information. Can you post a picture from the top so I can see the full layout? I am thinking to try building this but take that last mirror and replace it with a grating to make it an external cavity style v fold. Wondering if I can tune the cavity then and have a shot at mode locking it. Unlikely.

do you think the crystal could handle being pumped with a 5-9w 445nm diode? Not sure what the absorbsnce spectrum looks like.

have you tried modulation yet? Curious to see if it would be a 2w or so 640nm replacement for multi mode diodes. My actual use is if I get mode locked to try and replace out some picosecond dye lasers.

also thinking to set this up like a ti:sap. And double end pump it. Just take time and money. Something I am in short supply of!

this is really exciting to see. I was unable to source the crystal before for under 1000usd.
I think the following picture should help.
屏幕快照 2020-02-06 21.33.26.png

I do modulate the blue laser because when supply current rises, the output wavelength will shift from 445 to 450 nm. Modulation would avoid this condition. I think if you use more pumped power, the crystal holder could need water cooled but I am not try. My blue laser is just 1.6 W, using full pump power the crystal is not very hot. Yet I am not try this condition very often.

kecked

excellent that is just what I was looking for. Well if I get the wild hair to spend on the crystal I have the other optics.

Hello!
What you wanna do with this? At all we working on such lasers - the maximum Power i now get out of one of our setups was about 2,7W 639nm. We do have a lot of different OC mirrors, if someone will need - and even some crystals.
Best regards,
Phillip

kecked

Well I wanted to use it to make a mode locked picosecond laser. I also want to try using Raman shifting of the orange line to 575nm or there about or the green line up to yellow. All I need is about 40mw at 5 picoseconds in an 8mhz train. Replacing a dye laser. Not sure thats possible but would like to try. Worst case it’s a nice 2w 640nm beam for a projector. The crystal is stupid expensive but if it actually replaced a dye laser and 5W yag it would be a real cheap solution. I have my doubts. I did exactly zero research into this as I wasn’t going to buy the crystal.

cuijianw

new try to green line

Attachments

• 81F11BCE-88C0-4A16-A91B-936C803FB0C7.jpeg
    81F11BCE-88C0-4A16-A91B-936C803FB0C7.jpeg
    30 KB · Views: 29

cuijianw

Hello!
What you wanna do with this? At all we working on such lasers - the maximum Power i now get out of one of our setups was about 2,7W 639nm. We do have a lot of different OC mirrors, if someone will need - and even some crystals.
Best regards,
Phillip
I am making this just for fun. I plan to lase the device at orange color (604 or 607nm) but I cannot find appropriate OC mirrors.

cuijianw

Well I wanted to use it to make a mode locked picosecond laser. I also want to try using Raman shifting of the orange line to 575nm or there about or the green line up to yellow. All I need is about 40mw at 5 picoseconds in an 8mhz train. Replacing a dye laser. Not sure thats possible but would like to try. Worst case it’s a nice 2w 640nm beam for a projector. The crystal is stupid expensive but if it actually replaced a dye laser and 5W yag it would be a real cheap solution. I have my doubts. I did exactly zero research into this as I wasn’t going to buy the crystal.
I think raman shipfting is impossible. I cannot find reports about it.

kecked

Look up barium nitrate. It’s possible but low power and not picosecond or mode locked. I bought an lbo for 575 off eBay a while back as well. That’s not raman however and finding the ir is hard.

farbe2

Nice work!

Do you know how high your efficiency is?
E.g how much output do you get?

kecked

Nice job. Can you share the setup and materials so we can duplicate the effort? I’m almost ready to finish of a dye laser driven by nitrogen laser. Copying les lab design. Really simple and tuneable. Yours is cw I assume. If you want a fun project you might check his YouTube channel. Dirt simple.