Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Virus Sized Lazers

http://www.nanowerk.com/spotlight/spotid=26902.php

Researchers at Northwestern University have now found a way to manufacture single laser devices that are the size of a virus particle and that operate at room temperature. They show that subdiffraction nanoresonators based on metallic bowties, when coupled to a gain material, can generate coherent and directional light emission.

id26902.jpg

Well don't this just beat all :thinking:

~ LB

Woah, that's pretty crazy. :thinking: Talk about tiny, imagine trying to build one of those things. :banghead:
WTG ~LB. Nice find. :) +1

Last edited:
Lol, I know :) Thanks!

Would be cool to take out some viruses with it ;) :lasergun:

~ LB

NO NO... you're taking it wrong...
Imagine a billion of that, packaged as a 5.6mm laser diode.

The worlds best multimode? :D

Lol Leo ;) ,I can just imagine nanotech LPF'ers overdriving their diodes too :crackup: Who's got an electron microscope? :D

~ LB

Last edited:
Nice, :D
I was thinking more like how many would it take to make 1W L.A.S.E.R.? Lol- :crackup:

And ~ LB, idk if an electron microscope would work since it uses a particle beam of electrons to illuminate a specimen and create a highly magnified image think it might over power the lasers emissions, probably have to use a scanning tunnel or atomic force microscope which would make it even that much harder. ;)

:lasergun:

Last edited:
I'm in for 2! Hopefully someone can work out a deal ;) Drat now we need a Nano sized host :(

~ LB

Nice find. I wonder how long it'll be before someone uses one of these in a build just to say that they have. It wouldn't surprise me in the least. :D

+1 Nice find.