Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Vavolo Lasers

Last I heard, dunno if its true of not, is that their lasers are not IR filtered.

You don't know if it is true or not? :eek: Would it not be better to "mythbust" that rumor and then post the facts with the evidence either way, instead of propagating the rumor?

S

SenKat

A few of them look to be identical to the "New Wish" style that I proved to have IR filters...so, if someone wants to order one, and send to me for testing, lemme know !

P

Proctor

Those are Spymodex lasers. They're not IR filtered and will only produce maybe 30mW of 532nm light.

T

timelord

Spymodex and Newish are very identical, so my thoughts are gravitated to the thinking these lasers come from the same manufacturer and sold by Spymodex & Newish.
This is only a guess as i've examined a few of these units that people keep buying from ebay etc...

S

SenKat

Welllllll.....ALL the Newwish lasers I have examined have been IR shielded, so far....

L

laser

what exactly is IR filtering? i think it has something to do with radiation or sumthing...

T

timelord

laserk said:
what exactly is IR filtering? i think it has something to do with radiation or sumthing...

IR (infra red) is invisible light which can be harmfull to your eyes so using a filter in the construction of a laser stops IR being emitted.

S

SenKat

Well, all the DPSS lasers use an IR diode to supply the laser - the IR goes through wavelenght changes by passing through crystals, and that converts it to green light....not ALL the IR is converted, and some squeeks by the crystal set - so to prevent massive amounts of IR "leakage" the manufacturers have placed an IR filter after the crystal set - to prevent anyone from potential harm.

Some companies do not place that IR filter there - because the IR burns just as well as high powered green does !

...and they can also keep the price point while pocketing the price of the filter. Buyer beware!

S

SenKat

Ragnarok said:
...and they can also keep the price point while pocketing the price of the filter. Buyer beware!

THAT is the worst part - the filters cost pennies - that is just plain dangerous, and lazy on their part. Makes me sad :'(

Eh, I don't think it has anything to do with the price of the filter. What's the point of paying extra to bring your "green" 150mW laser to a 20mW green laser?