Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Maximizing Scanner Speed

Hello all,

I am working on a university project using laser scanners. Right now I have a set of SpaceLas 30KPPS galvos. I have been reading a lot on how the KPPS rating is misleading in terms of physical speed of the mirrors.

My application requires maximizing speed. Essentially I am irradiating a square area and want to scan over it as fast as possible. The scanning angle is not set in stone; ideally it would be as large as possible. Since the area is a simple rectangle, precision is not important. Do you have any ideas on what technology I should use? I have also read a little about LIDAR and MOEMs.

For smaller (1-10 degree) angles, is there a way to tune my current set of galvos to maximize speed? I don't have any experience in tuning these things.

Am i correct in assuming that for larger angles galvos are NOT the right tech?

I am interested in hearing about all ideas that are around $10K and less.

Thank you!

diachi

Hello all,

I am working on a university project using laser scanners. Right now I have a set of SpaceLas 30KPPS galvos. I have been reading a lot on how the KPPS rating is misleading in terms of physical speed of the mirrors.

My application requires maximizing speed. Essentially I am irradiating a square area and want to scan over it as fast as possible. The scanning angle is not set in stone; ideally it would be as large as possible. Since the area is a simple rectangle, precision is not important. Do you have any ideas on what technology I should use? I have also read a little about LIDAR and MOEMs.

For smaller (1-10 degree) angles, is there a way to tune my current set of galvos to maximize speed? I don't have any experience in tuning these things.

Am i correct in assuming that for larger angles galvos are NOT the right tech?

I am interested in hearing about all ideas that are around $10K and less.

Thank you!

Perhaps give Pangolin a call - they make some of the best scanners on the market - their CEO (president?) literally wrote the book on laser scanners.

https://www.amazon.com/LASER-SCANNE...oduct-ebook/dp/B01H13Q8LI/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8

ScannerMAX - A Division of Pangolin Laser Systems, Inc.

A better forum for discussing scanners is Photonlexicon.com - lots of experts when it comes to scanners over there.

Would anyone be able to shed some light on how I would go about measuring the linear scan speed with a galvo setup?

diachi

Would anyone be able to shed some light on how I would go about measuring the linear scan speed with a galvo setup?

I don't know personally, there aren't many folk that frequent this site that will. More over on photonlexicon.

The author of this book posts there frequently: https://www.amazon.ca/LASER-SCANNERS-Technologies-Applications-product/dp/069274777X

That'd be worth picking up for $0.99 (electronic version) - that's practically free!

There are others on Photonlexicon that would know other than Bill Benner.