Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

laser engravers

Tried looking around to see if anyone is using their lasers with a cad chassis. Built a laser a couple years back from info found here, but haven't really done much with it. But with a practical application that doesn't risk getting me in trouble looking to dig back into it.

TomP

I can't help you much right now, as I'm in the process of putting custom current drivers together to power the thing and I don't have a full solution yet, but I've been working on adding a 30w diode laser cutter to my homebuilt 3d printer. If you are looking for resources, the marlin 3d printer firmware has a builtin option to run a laser engraver or milling spindle that is pretty well put together. Depending on how much of a gantry you already have set up and how much code needs to be rewritten, this can obviously become a pretty large project. I'm planning to either use fusion 360 or laserweb (https://github.com/LaserWeb/LaserWeb4) to generate the requisite gcode. Most likely laserweb.

Your mileage will vary with laser diode based engraving, its pretty important to either have a really small spot size or overwhelming power output, as long as you get a reasonably high power density it should work fine. If you already built a laser you know what it's limits for burning things are, so I don't need to tell you that. Personally, if you want to just engrave I would go with a beam expander and focus lens setup on a singlemode diode to get minimum spot size, sacrificing depth of field, and I probably wouldn't bother building a low power cutter.

If you have any specific questions, I can try to help. There are a bunch of tutorials online for software setups like gbrl (https://github.com/grbl/grbl/wiki) and some cheap gantry designs using old cd/dvd players for the x/y gantry.

It's a fun project, even if slightly impractical. Good luck!

Thank you for the input, currently have a 3d printer and flashed it with marlin so somewhat familiar with the os. Still debating on what my next build will be. Current printer is a bit too small to add an engraver I think. Torn between another printer or a cnc mill. From my understanding a 3d printer would be better to add an engraver to. If I end up building a mill next may just add a laser to my printer for something small to play with for the time being.