Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

L.A.S.E.R., a word, or an abbreviation?

jpv434

I know the exact answer. I just want to make sure everyone on here knows it is... anyone???

jpv434

L.A.S.E.R., Light Amplified by Stimulating Emission of Radiation
Yeah lol I had to look up what acronym meant. I need to keep myself updated on everything, I feel like everybody else is learning stuff and I'm not.

Encap

True, it originally was an acronym but that has gone the way of the horse and buggy since at least the 1970s. and has entered the lexicon as a regular word commonly used instead of as an acronym.
Is used as a word and/or an acronym these days.

Oxford Languages 2024 :

"noun: laser; plural noun: lasers
  1. a device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light (or other electromagnetic radiation) by stimulated emission of Photons from excited atoms or molecules. Lasers are used in drilling and cutting, alignment and guidance, and in surgery; the optical properties are exploited in holography, reading bar codes, and in recording and playing compact discs.
verb
verb: laser; 3rd person present: lasers; past tense: lasered; past participle: lasered; gerund or present participle: lasering
  1. treat or remove (something) using a laser, especially as part of surgery.
    "he has had tattoos lasered off his chest"
Origin:
1960s: acronym from light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, on the pattern of maser"

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
What are you gonna do
What do you want me to do? I can ban you. I can delete your posts. I can even expose your ip addresses. It's up to you if you want to continue to spam but if you continue I will stop it. If you're purposefully trying to piss everyone off then you are at fault. Have you been drinking tonight or something? Do you just need to get something off of your shoulders or are you just bored? I mean what's going on with you?

Last edited: