Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Importing expensive lasers into Canada

Hello,

It is my understanding that over the past few years, the importation of lasers above 5mw into Canada has been prohibited. Is this in fact the case?

I wish to purchase a PGL-III-C-589 (>80mw) directly from CNI, soon.

Would I have to worry about it being seized? It's quite an expensive piece, i'd rather like to avoid such an occurrence.

Thanks,

AAlasers

ARG

It is my understanding that over the past few years, the importation of lasers above 5mw into Canada has been prohibited. Is this in fact the case?

Lasers greater than 5mW are legal in Canada.
Handheld lasers greater than 5mW are illegal to import into Canada unless you work/study in a lab with an LSO who has given you written permission to import the handheld laser.

diachi

what if its a plugin laser over 5 mW, can be imported?

As in a lab style system or OEM system? Yes.

Edit: Also, you avoid bringing such old threads back to life :)

Last edited:
As in a lab style system or OEM system? Yes.

Edit: Also, you avoid bringing such old threads back to life :)

haha yea, i appreciate the reply. Its built pretty oem, as in cheap black little box though.

it doesnt look official to say the least.
It literally looks like a handsize camera, with a diode sticking out and 3 prong wire attached. the housing resembles nothing like a laser module or lightsaber. It has a warning as well, not sure if its describing the class, pretty sure the sticker on it describes the lasers mW, wavelength, etc.

Last edited:
As if a couple months ago CNI no longer ship handheld over 5mW to Canada. However Ultra lasers is a re seller of CNI and is located in Canada. He quoted me 980$ for the 589 in 80mW.

As if a couple months ago CNI no longer ship handheld over 5mW to Canada. However Ultra lasers is a re seller of CNI and is located in Canada. He quoted me 980$ for the 589 in 80mW.

Thanks, whos CNI? i tried google them, best result was canadian national railway.

Last edited:

Oh i see, had me concerned who was CNI? lol. I thought i couldnt buy plugin laser over 5 mW.
i guess it will pass customs then, it actually looks exactly like cni lasers, except no power supply for it.

Last edited: