Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need help guys in building a remote controlled IR laser

Milev

hello guys,

im a new member in this forum, i need your suggestion about the things i need to make a small laser project.

the project is : ( an IR (800-950 nm) (=<500 mw) burning laser diod ----attached to--- a DC remote controle switch =<12v ---- attacher to a 9 v battery)

1. - i need the laser to burn at a half meter (50 cm) distance as maximum.
  2. - the remote controle switch is =<12 v ( i dont know which one to buy for this project)
  3. - the project workes on a 9 v battery
  4. the smaller the project the better.
and if you have better suggetions, feel free to modify and share with me the links of the props , i will be very glad to hear from you.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 2

Wakrah

I have built projects using those remote garage door openers/controllers, they work well. Have you found a laser diode you want to use yet?

Milev

I have built projects using those remote garage door openers/controllers, they work well. Have you found a laser diode you want to use yet?
thank you so much my friend for your reply, no not yet i havent found one, i need it to be a burning IR laser ponter diode at 50cm maximum.
i need some guidence in building this project.

Encap

What is it you want to actually do/burn and why?
A 500mW 808nm IR laser well focused can probably light at match at 30cm but that is about it and will be dangerous for eyesight requiring laser goggles/glasses that block the wavelength to be worn by anyone whose eyes are exposed to it.

Do you understand that laser beam has no temperature - there is no inherent "temperature" to a laser beam. Heat is produced by the random motion of matter particles (atomic or molecular particles). A laser beam itself is not made of matter but of photons, which have no mass, thus a laser beam can have no temperature. "Heat" is caused by a laser beams energy being absorbed by a materials surface and turning light energy into heat energy which depends on many factors. efficiency of the target's absorption of the laser wavelength among others-The ability for a substance to absorb a particular wavelength is dependent on the substance itself--its absorption spectrum. This depends on the atomic and molecular structure of the substance, which governs its ability to absorb certain wavelengths,

Last edited:
The remote receiver runs on 12v but it only actuates the relays, there is no output, you can connect 9v at the terminal strip or 120v the relays don't care, make sure to solder between the 3 control pins for latching or toggle function and program to your remote as it explains. in the directions.

Remember safety 1st and always when lasing.

Milev

The remote receiver runs on 12v but it only actuates the relays, there is no output, you can connect 9v at the terminal strip or 120v the relays don't care, make sure to solder between the 3 control pins for latching or toggle function and program to your remote as it explains. in the directions.

Remember safety 1st and always when lasing.
thank you so much my friend for your answer, so the 9v dc battery will not ruin my laser diode even if the diode functions on a lower voltage like 3v or 5v ?

Milev

What is it you want to actually do/burn and why?
A 500mW 808nm IR laser well focused can probably light at match at 30cm but that is about it and will be dangerous for eyesight requiring laser goggles/glasses that block the wavelength to be worn by anyone whose eyes are exposed to it.

Do you understand that laser beam has no temperature - there is no inherent "temperature" to a laser beam. Heat is produced by the random motion of matter particles (atomic or molecular particles). A laser beam itself is not made of matter but of photons, which have no mass, thus a laser beam can have no temperature. "Heat" is caused by a laser beams energy being absorbed by a materials surface and turning light energy into heat energy which depends on many factors. efficiency of the target's absorption of the laser wavelength among others-The ability for a substance to absorb a particular wavelength is dependent on the substance itself--its absorption spectrum. This depends on the atomic and molecular structure of the substance, which governs its ability to absorb certain wavelengths,
thank you so much my friend for your reply, i'm planning in using it for foam cutting idea , the foam is a black colored thus it will absorbe so much light that will cause it to burn fastly.
it would be great if you could suggest for me a sources to get some IR filter lenses, and some glases that prevent the IR range.

Milev

thank you so much guys for your answers, it really helps, i will be so greatful if you can sugget for me some laser diodes with a focuse lence than can make this project possible .

Encap

Please do not double or triple post back to back--is annoying, frowned upon/not well thought of, on LPF , and a no-no.

You can get a pair of laser glasses/goggle here: https://www.survivallaser.com/Safety_Goggles/cat556089_826120.aspx or search eBay for an "Eagle Pair laser glasses/goggles"

Look on Ebay search "infrared laser module" a lot of focusable modules and complete IR lasers there.

Last edited:
thank you so much my friend for your answer, so the 9v dc battery will not ruin my laser diode even if the diode functions on a lower voltage like 3v or 5v ?
You have to use a current limiting driver to prevent destroying your laser diode, you can not just connect 9v, however if you connected a 9v battery that can't supply enough current to exceed the laser diodes damage threshold then you would get away with it but you won't get full output, you need a driver.......your remote switch is just a radio controlled switch......just what are you attempting to build ?

A 1/2 watt of IR is an eye hazard and one that you can't see so just what are you building ?
Safety is always an issue but with 1/2 watt invisible beams it's imperative that you know what your doing to prevent hurting some unsuspecting person.

If you are building something like a remote photo sensor actuator in order to shut off someones automatic floodlight you need to understand your beam could damage someones eyes should they walk through it, you must think safety 1st and prevent a disaster when working with any laser over 5mw.

I don't care if you choose to do something illegal, that's on you, I do care if you might hurt someone, that's something you must not do or allow to happen.

So what are you trying to build ?

Milev

You have to use a current limiting driver to prevent destroying your laser diode, you can not just connect 9v, however if you connected a 9v battery that can't supply enough current to exceed the laser diodes damage threshold then you would get away with it but you won't get full output, you need a driver.......your remote switch is just a radio controlled switch......just what are you attempting to build ?

A 1/2 watt of IR is an eye hazard and one that you can't see so just what are you building ?
Safety is always an issue but with 1/2 watt invisible beams it's imperative that you know what your doing to prevent hurting some unsuspecting person.

If you are building something like a remote photo sensor actuator in order to shut off someones automatic floodlight you need to understand your beam could damage someones eyes should they walk through it, you must think safety 1st and prevent a disaster when working with any laser over 5mw.

I don't care if you choose to do something illegal, that's on you, I do care if you might hurt someone, that's something you must not do or allow to happen.

So what are you trying to build ?
i really appreciate your respond my friend , i also don't want any one to get hurt, thats why im insesting at 50 cm as a maximum distance, and i will be glad if it is possible to do this project with a 5 mw laser diode , i'm open for your suggestion my friend if you have any ideas.
(im planingto cut thin black colored foam )