Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi from Puerto Rico

octal

Hi all. I'm a tech/startup/eng guy living in Puerto Rico (after living on crazy offshore platforms, in Iraq/Afghanistan, etc.). I've always wanted a "nice laser pointer", but for various reasons everything I have is either a weapon-mounted module (usually with IR + visible slaved) or a VCSEL IR illuminator. When I was an undergrad, the lab where I was working on stuff had a holography lab in the basement, so I've seen/played with tables, but still, unrequited desire. I've got lots of NV, thermal, lights, drones, cameras, radios, RF stuff, satcom, etc. I'm more a math/crypto/software guy but do like hardware.

Ordered a few of the nice Tinker lasers tonight after seeing a Youtube video about the yellow 573. Going to do some research on eye safety since these seem rather spicy. Also curious what the best "travel" high power laser is, which won't get damaged in my backpack, isn't too expensive, and won't draw the ire of customs anywhere.

(one of the things we wanted to do at school was play Tetris on the side of the "Green Building" (a big Earth Science building on campus which had windows in a grid). Went as far as finding a "borrowable" 10w water cooled/3ph and laser scanner, and this was back 25+ years ago when this stuff was crazy expensive, but couldn't find 3ph power for it at the transmit site, so we ended up not doing it. Today this would be trivial with LED lights in each window or something, or just on strings dropped from the roof.)

Welcome to LPF octal
Safety 1st is the right way, here's some glasses/goggles
Yes, so much more is available today and more is to come.

Laser Tetris on a building you say.

Darktron

Hi and welcome @octal I lived in PR for a bit over a decade is nice to see more people from around the world. I'd definitely research safety first before operating any laser. I do make some handhelds under 10W of power if you're ever interested.