Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help - My First Build - Laser Cigarette Lighter

A very safe laser cigarette lighter could easily be made but you would never know the cigarette was being lit by a laser because there would only be one hole just big enough to insert the cigarette into so what would be the point? :D

Use orange transparent acrylic as a view port.
Any viewport that lets you see the beam inside will not stop the beam from exiting the lighter should something reflective be inserted in the hole and deflect the beam at the viewport, as far as I know...

If you can see the beam, the beam can get to your eyes? when wearing good eagle laser safety goggles I can't even see a 7-watt blue laser beam pass by a foot in front of the goggles...

Last edited:
The beam will be fixed in one place so the OD is not as critical compared to goggles which need to be able to take a direct hit. It just has to block scattered light. 3d resin printers are ver similar this way.

The beam will be fixed in one place so the OD is not as critical compared to goggles which need to be able to take a direct hit. It just has to block scattered light. 3d resin printers are ver similar this way.
If you block any of that wavelength from exiting you won't see any of it, beam or scattered, remember the laser needs to be powerful enough to light a cigarette fairly quickly and for it to be safe should something reflective be inserted in the hole and deflect the beam at the viewport all of that light has to be blocked which mean you can't see the beam through the viewport???

Any amount of a laser that powerful escaping the lighter for any reason could be dangerous to the eye unless you are the only person that will use it and you can guaranty that no one will ever go "hey what happens if I put this in it?" which you will not be able to do 100%...

BUT there is nothing stopping you from building it and I will never be around it so no matter what happens my eyes will be safe from it so you can do what you like...

Last edited:
So you can't build it or figure it out. That's your issue.
I could build a "laser lighter" but if you can see the beam it'll never be 100% safe, that's the point...

But knock yourself out! No one can stop you... :cool:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
4 pages of just arguing. Wow. Of course it can be done, should it be done? No. Guns are not safe either, but if you use them in a safe manner you will be ok. However you could if you wanted to, use it as alternative way of turning a light bulb off. Should you ...NO!
Why, shouldn't have to point it out? Not safe, but also not practical either.

With time and effort you could eliminate some of the risks in building a laser lighter. Like shielding the light source and having a cigarette size slot to expose it to the beam. But as you cannot eliminate the risks entirely it remains a Class IV laser device and would never pass safety standards. The 'no fun' rule was just plain stupid. No one here doesn't want to enjoy their lasers, but if doing stupid things is the only fun people can have nowadays, then that isn't LPF's problem that's societies.

If the arguing continues, the mods should just close this thread. It isn't a good advert for LPF.

And just for fun, you know proof we have can have some.

Last edited:
The arguing was unnecessary. I don't think 7w lasers with no safety features should be done either, but the forum has no problems with that. At least this is something different, and can be done safe.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I am not going to add to the arguing in this thread. As you can see from the thread that it has been mainly you replying here. I have given my pennyworth above. It is mostly how you use the device that makes a device unsafe. How many experienced members on here do you see treating a 7W like it isn't knowingly dangerous. We regularly warn and advise against owning 7W lasers if inexperienced. Your argument is void. In the terms of safety there is no difference whether the laser in question is 500mW or 7W. They are both Class IV and need to be treated as such. Class IV cigarette lighters are overengineered solutions to a problem that doesn't really exist with increased safety risks that don't outweigh any benefits it may have. You now have two pennies. That's all the time and effort I am wasting on this topic.