Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Exteral Lenes

it is worth a try if you have some laying around. I sure wouldn't put them in my eye afterwards... ;)

Actually, i have several hundred of them. Most of them are concave powers (negative powers ranging from -.50D to -5.00D) however. So at best they would spread the beam not tighten it. If anyone is interested let me know and we can work out something.

Neo

Sniper

is there a way to take out your orignal len and put a new one in and is there a place where you can get new ones that fit like a standard size?

my lens in my 15mW are all scartched up and idont know how it happened but it makes a lot of things around the dot. :'(

S

SenKat

Sniper - same thing happened to me - tear apart any cd-rom drive, or dvd-rom drive or burner...you will find TONS of optics inside, and a few lenses that may work for you. Also, there are a few companies that make replcements for pointers - they can run pretty pricey though.

I have a extra CD rom that I have never needed or put into my computer. I think I will take it apart. What is the power of the laser in a typical CD rom drive and what kind of power do I need to hook it up?

Neo

S

SenKat

neocacher said:
I have a extra CD rom that I have never needed or put into my computer. I think I will take it apart.  What is the power of the laser in a typical CD rom drive and what kind of power do I need to hook it up?

Neo

The diode in a cd-drive is low mw red. Burners are where the power is. Cd-burners use relatively low power IR diodes, and the DVD burners use the high power reds, and one low-power IR.

The REALLY neat stuff is the optics inside, as well - some beam splitters, lenses, prisms, etc !

DARN! I went to find it to take it apart and it is gone. I guess I threw it away a couple of months ago when I was cleaning the room. Oh well!

Neo

Sorry to sound dumb but how do you use optics i have some and i try pointing it on them and nothing happenings...

T

timelord

lasermaster said:
Sorry to sound dumb but how do you use optics i have some and i try pointing it on them and nothing happenings...

Attachments

• wicked20optics20set_001.jpg
    wicked20optics20set_001.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 230
S

SenKat

Optics are a BLAST ! You can split the beam into hundreds of points of light (defraction filter) or split the beam into two opposite directions (beam splitter) or super-focus it for maximum burning potential ! Not to mention all the mirrors, and different effect when you combine them with motors, and you have a really nice light show on your hands then !

T

timelord

SenKat said:
Optics are a BLAST !  You can split the beam into hundreds of points of light (defraction filter) or split the beam into two opposite directions (beam splitter) or super-focus it for maximum burning potential !  Not to mention all the mirrors, and different effect when you combine them with motors, and you have a really nice light show on your hands then !
I'm looking for some diffraction grating if anyone has a lead on these??

S

SenKat

Timelord said:
[quote author=SenKat link=1170183197/45#57 date=1171374183]Optics are a BLAST !  You can split the beam into hundreds of points of light (defraction filter) or split the beam into two opposite directions (beam splitter) or super-focus it for maximum burning potential !  Not to mention all the mirrors, and different effect when you combine them with motors, and you have a really nice light show on your hands then !
I'm looking for some diffraction grating if anyone has a lead on these??[/quote]

Keep me informed of your findings ! I want a few of those as well ! :cool:

T

timelord

I can't seem to find any in the UK but if i do i'll pick you some up ;) You keep your eyes peeled too mate :)

S

SenKat

Timelord said:
I can't seem to find any in the UK but if i do i'll pick you some up  ;) You keep your eyes peeled too mate  :)

Actually, I am going to check that link that was posted for hte IR filter - maybe they have them.....I have even checked craft stores - got a big old honkin right angle prism - but it is acylic - and SUCKS ! :'(