Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice On Cleaning Cheap 532nm Optics

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Sorry If I upset you. But when using alcohol for fingerprints, do I apply it with the brush?
No apologies needed. And yeah, applied with the brush and brush very gently . You might have to clean and re-clean severl times this way before you get the lens as clean as it's gonna get.

Snecho

No apologies needed. And yeah, applied with the brush and brush very gently . You might have to clean and re-clean severl times this way before you get the lens as clean as it's gonna get.
Thank you so much for the advice. I have multiple bad lenses from cheap pointers so I'll try to practice on those.

If I may, do you know how one would go about cleaning the crystal? I'm just talking about the exposed "output crystal" on the top. I'm not talking about actually taking everything apart. 😊
I ask because I see odd anomalies in all three of my uncollaminated 532nm pointers and am wondering what it could be.

kecked

If no one mentioned it....clean compressed air does wonders. Plain old soap and water on a lens cleaning paper. For cheap ones I don’t care about. A quick dip in water from the sink and a corner of a paper towel to suck the water off the lens.

Snecho

If no one mentioned it....clean compressed air does wonders. Plain old soap and water on a lens cleaning paper. For cheap ones I don’t care about. A quick dip in water from the sink and a corner of a paper towel to suck the water off the lens.
Noted! 🙂

Anthony P

I am surprised to hear that alcohol can be used on acrylic lenses. Alcohol cracks acrylic in a process called crazing. I saw this first hand with flow indicator site glasses with acrylic windows. When I tried to run ethanol or isopropanol through, the windows cracked in a spider web fashion.

On coated glass or quartz lenses, I have had good luck with alcohol or zeiss lens cleaner rinse, then blow off liquid cleaner with compressed air duster.

Snecho

I am surprised to hear that alcohol can be used on acrylic lenses. Alcohol cracks acrylic in a process called crazing. I saw this first hand with flow indicator site glasses with acrylic windows. When I tried to run ethanol or isopropanol through, the windows cracked in a spider web fashion.

On coated glass or quartz lenses, I have had good luck with alcohol or zeiss lens cleaner rinse, then blow off liquid cleaner with compressed air duster.
Huh, yeah I forgot all about crazing. Something else to think about.

Again, I'm just trying to learn the best way to clean cheap acrylic lenses.