Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

2 watt laser from scratch parts

Jaxson Smit

I was wondering if some of you guys could make a list of laser parts for a 2 watt build so I don't fry another one again (preferably fairly cheap)

I would get an SXD driver set to 1800 mA. You'll need an M140 diode pressed into an AixiZ module with a G2 lens or equivalent. The driver can be soldered directly the the diode's pins, then you will need a host to put it into. I would look for one that takes two batteries as the SXD is a buck driver. All of these parts can be bought from DTR's laser shop online. Or, you can find them on eBay.

Jaxson Smit

Screenshot_20200117-134617.jpgare you talking about an SXD driver like this? And how many volts should be supplied to the driver

Jaxson Smit

Yes. The 1.8 amp one. Two Li-ion batteries or 7.4 volts.
Okay I recently bought a laser module and was going to remove the diode from it so I could use that to focus the beam. Do I need the specific g2 lens or can I use that

It depend on which lens it has. Some come with acrylic lenses and that would melt. The G2 or equivalent lens output the most power of all the lenses we use and since the divergence of the M140 is not bad, it makes sense to use that one. But, if the lens is at least glass, it would likely work in this case.

Jaxson Smit

Last questions I have is where would you connect the diode to the driver and how long could this run?

Hi, here is what you want to do . look at the back of the diode here you see a bent case pin that should be towards the right when looking at the back of the diode . looking at it with the case pin to the right the POS+ pin will be on the top and the NEG- pin on the bottom. I bend the case pin for room so it doesn't touch anything else for an example .
Notice the polarity on the driver coincides with the correct polarity on the diode. That copper piece is heat sinking the driver IC to keep it cool and in regulation , meaning not to over heat. Hope this helps you
Rich:)
IMG_2585.jpeg

I get it you would like to build it yourself, but maybe for a first laser buy a module from DTR LPF google store?

Hi J,
Go SXD from DTR preset go easy on your self, if I were building this unit I would go the DTR , SXD driver route preset.
Good luck would like to see it lit up buddy,,
Rich:)

Your run time is going to depend on the host you put the module into. The larger the heat sink in aluminum or a copper one in the host is going to determine your run time. You really don't want the laser diode to overheat. Some here buy hosts from Survival Lasers. There are also members here that can make one for you. Lifetime17 is one of those members.

Jaxson Smit

Your run time is going to depend on the host you put the module into. The larger the heat sink in aluminum or a copper one in the host is going to determine your run time. You really don't want the laser diode to overheat. Some here buy hosts from Survival Lasers. There are also members here that can make one for you. Lifetime17 is one of those members.
Rich was talking about the copper piece on the sxd acting as a heat sink. Do I need another one or will that do the trick?

Yes, you will need another one. You have the option of using a handheld host or going to a lab style host with a fan for active cooling. But, you won't be able to run an M140 diode long in just a copper module alone.

Jaxson Smit

Yes, you will need another one. You have the option of using a handheld host or going to a lab style host with a fan for active cooling. But, you won't be able to run an M140 diode long in just a copper module alone.
So how can I fit a heatsink into a handheld host? Is it possible to change the diode to a 3 or 4 W or would I need a totally different driver setup?