Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu shipping rates? Is this for real???

After getting advice on which companies to deal with, I checked out Sanwu and was drawn to this one: https://www.sanwulasers.com/product/304

Green, 80mw, and only $20. Not bad! So I selected it and went to check out and saw this: https://www.sanwulasers.com/checkout/wrii351xexpxdixa3rdllpif

Shipping so high that it triples the cost of the laser. No thanks!

Amazon has something similar for about the same price. Shipping is $7.99 unless something's added to total over $35, and then it's free. https://www.amazon.com/SolidKraft-T...id=1712545351&sprefix=solidkra,aps,415&sr=8-5

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Geez Luis 40 bucks for shipping?

Encap

Standard price for DHL shipping with approx 3 day delivery to USA for any Sanwu product. Doesn't matter if it is $20 or $1000 item---shipping is the same.

CNI is $75 for FedEx shipping of a module and only way they will ship.
JetLasers is a little less $30 for any pointer but quick DHL delivery.

GSS

The last 4 "532" big host ones I bought all averaged around 60mW with one being I think 65mW.
None of these were the 301, 303 styles. Whether the 301 hosts might be stronger on purpose I don't know?

Has anyone bought 301 styles or really any style lately that have measured 75mW and up?
I'm wondering if the old days of way way way over spec 5mW 532's are over?

Last edited:

loreadarkshade

They do this because allowing for slow cheaper shipping options lead to too many customer complaints

Looks like standard off-the-shelf 300 series cheap Chinese laser pointers, just rebranded with a Sanwu label.
If you get them from Amazon, AliExpr. eBay, or Sanwu. I doubt the inner hardware differs, only the amount of mock-up, but I haven't been there for many years, so I don't know if its actual also the case.

If you in the market for a cheap sub 20 bucks delivered laser pointer.
These below are also an option if its still the same product, they were around 15 to 25 USD. depending on color., with blue around the 25-dollar mark incl. 25%VAT & shipping but without 18650/18350 cell(s).

The green DPSS would peak around 100 to 125mW, and the RED Mit a tad over 200mW, but it is many years ago, since I purchased them, around 6 to 9 years ago (If I recall correctly) so you can't take for granted it's still the same units with the same driver boards, pods... many of these cheap Chinese pointers been "BOM-cost optimized" a lot over the years, but back then it was a cheap way to get a relative cheap +100mW green DPSS...
They still working fine today, green & red runs on 1x18650

Last edited:
The last 4 "532" big host ones I bought all averaged around 60mW with one being I think 65mW.
None of these were the 301, 303 styles. Whether the 301 hosts might be stronger on purpose I don't know?

Has anyone bought 301 styles or really any style lately that have measured 75mW and up?
I'm wondering if the old days of way way way over spec 5mW 532's are over?

I have a few that measured 80 mW. Haven't purchased one recently though.

Reactions: GSS

GSS

I had a few older 301, 303's that had a pot on the driver and some didn't.
Don't know if that made a difference?

I had a few older 301, 303's that had a pot on the driver and some didn't.
Don't know if that made a difference?

Yeah, these use linear drivers because of the case positive 808nm pump diode. Many have, or at least had pots that one could adjust, but many of mine were already set fairly high. Don't know if you would want to set these any higher.

Cressa

The shipping cost difference between them and Amazon is because Amazon is shipping an immense amount of packages all over the planet anyway, all they have to do is load boxes already in their warehouses into scheduled vehicles.

Madness Laser

@Enchilada
How did you cut the Gatling in two?
A manual Rothenberg tube cutter or a lathe?
You only cut the external part without affecting the internal one, in such a way as to make the two parts fit together once the driver/diode block has been replaced with another of a different color, taken from 1 cell 18650 "303/301" pointers

GSS

It screws apart in 2 or 3 pieces after you take all those side tubes out which I think use hex key screws.
The inner workings are usually pressed in and glued so those stay put unless you want to chance ruining the laser.
Even then on the fat chance it can be taken apart, why swap in even weaker less expensive in general 301/303 parts?

The Gattlings gun type lasers are pretty cheap to buy but still why would someone take a lathe to cut one up and curious if many laser people have expensive plumbing tube cutters on hand? Even then i'm not sure that the girth or width of the tube cutter top would fit over the flanged part of the Gattling laser body.
Something tells me you are 3D laser with another account?? If not I apologize..

Last edited:

Madness Laser

I know how Gatlings are made, I have 8 new ones and I noticed that mine don't have that clean cut mentioned above... it's clear that the red and green models have been modified, originally the laser diode [max 1.5 /6W ] is pressed into a brass cylinder, and is with the can.
In the photo of Enchilada, however, you can see that it has been replaced with another diode, because it is decanned, I assume it is an Oclaro or a red Mitsubishi, the green one I have no idea.
My Rothenberg pipe cutter is small and manual and doesn't cost much, I paid no more than 25 euros for it at the time, it cuts well even to the limit of roundings, certainly not if you make the cut in the part that goes up where there are the holes in the aluminium, the color of the ON/OFF button is black for me, in the photo instead one is orange and one green, the Gatlings don't have those colours.. then I don't know if they have changed over time!

Nice [at least for me] to see you again GSS, I see you never forget the 1st nickname eh? How are you ? you reappeared on LPF, and you made a nice little flash sale, a long, long time has passed, people have changed, I myself have changed, life events, two deaths on my shoulders, my illness. Each of us has a past behind us, whether good or bad, each of us has done things, but change comes to everyone sooner or later, it is the law of life.
I hope that these words written here are not misunderstood as an act of trolling, but they are 100% sincere.

hardware inside those cheap laser pointers changed a lot.. zenodilodon made a video on youtube where he compared couple of different era pointers..

nowadays drivers inside are literaly consisting of couple of resistors... its ridiculors.. even IR diodes are looking strange .. let alone weight of the laser "pen".. it is like paper weight..

so i guess those 301 style will have heavier host still but inside laser will be sooo cheap it is not going to be overspec as they used to be

Last edited:

Madness Laser

Ah.. have the drivers of the 301/303 lasers changed radically, have they practically eliminated the enhancement? which was adjusted with a Phillips screwdriver.. I have to dismantle one of my 8 Gatlings, and see what type of driver it has inside, I also have some 303s, but I think they are the old model.
Rush to the cheap .. in a dismantling of a previous pointer, I found a Mitsubishi laser diode with a numerical series on the can. Rare commodity, since they are no longer found, ditto for its driver.

GSS

hardware inside those cheap laser pointers changed a lot.. zenodilodon made a video on youtube where he compared couple of different era pointers..

nowadays drivers inside are literaly consisting of couple of resistors... its ridiculors.. even IR diodes are looking strange .. let alone weight of the laser "pen".. it is like paper weight..

so i guess those 301 style will have heavier host still but inside laser will be sooo cheap it is not going to be overspec as they used to be
Wow, so they actually used a copper module way back in the day :)
When I joined the modules were brass and maby 70% had a pot.
Then they quickly went to the ribbed aluminum sleeve and a bare diode just like you showed. Sad:(

Fast tech had $5 to $6 dollar 532 modules that could potted to 100mW and a little more. How much was IR I don't know but still.
Its been a while since I checked.