Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Review of the Directly-Injected 505nm Bluish-Green ("Mint Green") Laser Pen

Re: Review of the Directly-Injected 505nm Bluish-Green Laser Pen

So it shifted down about 2 nm after 3 hours of operation. I'm not sure about any points in between, but i'd guess that it shifts down most within the first 10-20 minutes or so and then thermal equilibrium is reached...

I performed the spectroscopy at least a full day after the battery test; the LD would have most certainly been at room temperature by then.

So this spectrographic analysis shows a PERMANENT wavelength drift; not a temporary thermally-induced one where the LD would still be hot and a wavelength shift would be fully expected.

Benm

That's very odd indeed!

What happens when you run it long enough to get warm now? You get a further shift to lower wavelength depending on temperature, but this does completely reverse between cycles?

That's very odd indeed!

What happens when you run it long enough to get warm now? You get a further shift to lower wavelength depending on temperature, but this does completely reverse between cycles?

I'll have to spectro it after 20 or 30 minutes of continuous operation (without first deactivating it).

I have another stability analysis of the 488nm laser running right now; when that test is complete, I'll get my spectrometer going and check this. :)

(this computer has only a single free USB port, and my LPM is connected to it right now)

505nm9.gif

Spectrographic analysis of this laser after 25 minutes of continuous operation (laser was not neutralised before taking this spectrum)
My CEM DT-8810 Noncontact IR Thermometer is not capable of measuring the temperature of something as small as this laser diode.

Spectrometer's response narrowed to a band between 504nm and 509nm to pinpoint wavelength, which is 506.1nm.

Spectrographic data file (tab-delimited that can be loaded into Excel) is at 505nm9.txt

(The analysis on that 488nm diode laser is still running, but I did manage to get a free USB port by unplugging my stupid sodding Ipod dongle, hahaha!!!) ;)

Last edited:

You need more than one computer. I got another one when I got my first spectrometer so I am able to run more than one thing at a time.

You need more than one computer. I got another one when I got my first spectrometer so I am able to run more than one thing at a time.

I have champagne taste, but a MD 20/20 budget. :(

I do indeed have two computers, but the hardware display chipset in one of them (both computers are laptops) is fuxxored; I can only use that computer in times of extreme urgency -- only the upper 20% of the display is readable. :eek:

And performing spectroscopy is (in my opinion anyway) not a matter of extreme urgency.

Last edited:

:crackup: I haven't heard anybody reference Maddog 20/20 in a very long time. I take your meaning, though. Ooohh, Mogen David was some nasty tasting $hit.

:crackup: I haven't heard anybody reference Maddog 20/20 in a very long time. I take your meaning, though. Ooohh, Mogen David was some nasty tasting $hit.

I made the grave error of purchasing a small (16 fl. oz.) bottle of MD 20/20 back in 1989; my first slug of it was also my last! I spat that $#!7 out the window and flushed the rest of it down the fvk¡n6 toliet. :(
That stuff was YUCKING FUCKY tell ya what!!! :barf:

Last edited:

Miya

OH!!! i love two color. lower 505nm and 420nm.
i think duty cicle is long time. :p

I made the grave error of purchasing a small (16 fl. oz.) bottle of MD 20/20 back in 1989; my first slug of it was also my last! I spat that $#!7 out the window and flushed the rest of it down the fvk¡n6 toliet. :(
That stuff was YUCKING FUCKY tell ya what!!! :barf:

Yes, my first and last encounter with it was a bit earlier than yours. Around 1969. Back then it was fortified cheap swill at 20% alcohol content that hardly tasted anything like wine. I believe most of the drunks would buy it for a cheap buzz. I couldn't get past the taste.

Bumpity bump bump: Performed narrowband spectroscopy at relatively cold temps to check for wavelength shift.

Re: Review of the Directly-Injected 505nm Bluish-Green ("Mint Green") Laser Pen

BTTT: Performed a third long-term stability analysis cum battery discharge analysis.

BTTT: Added a pair of indoor "beam" photographs.

Do you have a link to the vendor?

I am drinking Chartreuse BTW. Medicinal purposes of course.

Do you have a link to the vendor?

I am drinking Chartreuse BTW. Medicinal purposes of course.

I'm not certain just who the OEM is; I purchased this laser on Ebay.
Sorry about that. :(