Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Popping Balloons System With 445nm Laser

bsozgen23

I'm studying at electrical and electronics engineering. We have a contest. We have to pop balloons which from 10 meters distance away in most shortest time. We want to use laser. But we did not select which laser (power) should we use. What do you think ? I'm wondering what can you recommend? Should we use any focusing attachment with lasers? Do we have to use special custom designed lens? Or if we buy normal lens? For example if i buy a 2 or 5 watt laser with a lens where can i buy optic (sunglasses) shop?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
don't post the same thread more than once. thankyou

You will likely get the best result from an NDB7875 diode. It is blue running between 445nm and 450nm. You should be able to get ~3 watts out without the terrible divergence with the higher power blue diodes.

bsozgen23

You will likely get the best result from an NDB7875 diode. It is blue running between 445nm and 450nm. You should be able to get ~3 watts out without the terrible divergence with the higher power blue diodes.
Thank you for your reply. Do we have to use any specific lenses for this model? And how much time do you think NDB7875 laser will pop the ballon? We need very short times (max 2-3 second)

You could also get by with one of the M140 diodes which would give you ~2 watts of output power. I haven't tried popping balloons at at 30 feet. You may need to use a longer focal length lens like the G8 in stead of the G2. Black balloons are the best and I found some on eBay.

bsozgen23

You could also get by with one of the M140 diodes which would give you ~2 watts of output power. I haven't tried popping balloons at at 30 feet. You may need to use a longer focal length lens like the G8 in stead of the G2. Black balloons are the best and I found some on eBay.
thank you very much for your advices.