Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Low voltage, HC driver for a coherent FAP module?

farbe2

You know, I am always concerned with modulation speed. That and current ripple is why I would want to go linear after switching.

CMC is a way but more complex to integrate but offers advantages, not sure if converters designed for CPUs and stuff like that offer direct CMC, most of them only offer external VMC with integrated CMC right?

5V vs 12V: makes sense, you might also need to go for thicker copper because of the high currents.

Good luck while testing! I really would like to see a thread if you ever get to it!

You know, I am always concerned with modulation speed. That and current ripple is why I would want to go linear after switching.

CMC is a way but more complex to integrate but offers advantages, not sure if converters designed for CPUs and stuff like that offer direct CMC, most of them only offer external VMC with integrated CMC right?

5V vs 12V: makes sense, you might also need to go for thicker copper because of the high currents.

Good luck while testing! I really would like to see a thread if you ever get to it!

The waste heat is not just a product of the current alone. It is the product of the voltage and current. Either way, 5 volts or 12 volts, your waste heat will be about the same as long as your output power is also the same.

atomd

No clue about CPU but modern GPU converters are natively CMC with feedforward from clock scaling logic. Otherwise inductor current ramps down so much slower than consumed current that you need absurd capacitance (in dozen mF). So when you want to ramp down clock you actually first inform PDN to reduce current and only then reduce clock speed to burn through leftover energy in the inductors.

The waste heat is not just a product of the current alone. It is the product of the voltage and current. Either way, 5 volts or 12 volts, your waste heat will be about the same as long as your output power is also the same.
Wait what? Do you have like any clue about how electricity works?
Wasted power on traces is I^2R so to get same losses I'll need to make input tracks 5.8 times thicker (actually more like 5.6 as efficiency increases a bit). Then there are details regarding switch, inductor and frequency selection. In the end 5V SMPS is totally different than 12V one. Running on fewer phases and much lower frequencies.

Wait what? Do you have like any clue about how electricity works?
Wasted power on traces is I^2R so to get same losses I'll need to make input tracks 5.8 times thicker (actually more like 5.6 as efficiency increases a bit). Then there are details regarding switch, inductor and frequency selection. In the end 5V SMPS is totally different than 12V one. Running on fewer phases and much lower frequencies.

Yes, I have a BSEE. I wasn't talking about copper traces on your driver. I was talking about the diode's waste heat. Of course one would want a driver that is going to work properly and if your power is great enough, the traces are always something to keep in mind. P=I^2R is just another form of P=IE and E=IR. :LOL:

Last edited:

atomd

Yes, I have a BSEE. I wasn't talking about copper traces on your driver. I was talking about the diode's waste heat. Of course one would want a driver that is going to work properly and if your power is great enough, the traces are always something to keep in mind. P=I^2R is just another form of P=IE and E=IR. :LOL:
well clearly suipply voltage selection refers to driver's heat output, not LD heat output.

The supply is more than just driver heat. There are costs that need to be factored in and output power that will determine if the supply is robust enough to drive what you intend to drive.