Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

laser for cutting plywood

darioviedo

I am very happy to find this forum, although my motivation is not laser pointers, I think that here are all the people who know about lasers. My motivation to write this first message is that you can help me design a laser head with diodes of 445nm of 5w.
I know someone will tell me that the best option is a CO2 laser, because I reject that idea because of the price, because of the volume, because of all the accessories that have to be aligned ... I also live in Argentina and I cannot guarantee that after wait three months for a glass tube from china, it will surely arrive broken. for this reason I want to make a combination of two or more LDs to cut 3mm plywood. Can I get 10w with two LDs combined using a BK7 glass PBS? Is it convenient to place a lens to focus in front of each LD or a single lens at the exit of the PBS? I basically want to reproduce the NEJE 80w laser, but I can't buy it because I end up paying more than double it due to taxes.
All ideas will be very well received, I don't know much about optics and that is why I want to hear the recommendations of people who are experts in the art of making magic with light. greetings to all!!

Dario

Ícono de validado por la comunidad

I am very happy to find this forum, although my motivation is not laser pointers, I think that here are all the people who know about lasers. My motivation to write this first message is that you can help me design a laser head with diodes of 445nm of 5w.
I know someone will tell me that the best option is a CO2 laser, because I reject that idea because of the price, because of the volume, because of all the accessories that have to be aligned ... I also live in Argentina and I cannot guarantee that after wait three months for a glass tube from china, it will surely arrive broken. for this reason I want to make a combination of two or more LDs to cut 3mm plywood. Can I get 10w with two LDs combined using a BK7 glass PBS? Is it convenient to place a lens to focus in front of each LD or a single lens at the exit of the PBS? I basically want to reproduce the NEJE 80w laser, but I can't buy it because I end up paying more than double it due to taxes.
All ideas will be very well received, I don't know much about optics and that is why I want to hear the recommendations of people who are experts in the art of making magic with light. greetings to all!!

Dari
Air is the key to cutting wood with a laser. Really, high pressure jet of air is what you will need. I use and engraver. It will cut pretty good in balsa and such up to 5mm or so, with lots of air. You'll need a small compressor, a fish pump isn't enough volume or pressure.

445-450nm diodes aren't the best wavelength for cutting, but work the best merely because the higher power options available. I guess you could use a high powered IR diode, they are pretty good for engraving, never used it to cut yet.

Thank you for your contribution, Commander, it is true, I had already considered making a small compressor based on a disused refrigerator cooling unit. Lots of air will help clean the cutting area!

I have a 5W 450 nm and, although I'm sure it would cut through 3 mm plywood, it'll be a frustratingly slow job.
I know someone will tell me that the best option is a CO2 laser
Have you considered a Co2 laser, though? LOL. No, seriously, it's like going on a tool forum and asking which screwdriver to use to cut through a plank, and then saying that you don't want to use a saw. Yes, it can be done, but it's going to be a headache.