Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to make a driver for 1310 Wavelength Laser Diode?

Ribbonsss

So currently i have a project that needed to use a laser diode with 1310 Wavelength with specifications as follow.

Laser Diode Specss.jpg
The thing is, I never build a driver for a laser diode. Maybe anyone can guide me as to what I need to do or buy, to make this laser diode driver? thanks in advance

The easiest way to build a constant current driver would be using a linear voltage regulator and a piece of resistor.
based on the document above, the requirements are:

Iout = 160mA @ Vf = 2.2V

For 160mA output, the value of the series resistor would be 1.25/0.16 = 7.8125
Looking at the nearest value, you could use 7.87 ohm resistor
You will need at least 6.5V of input voltage though. Less input voltage = less current output.

See the attachment, it outputs 0.159mA.

if in doubt or don't want to build it yourself, you could always look for the readily available (adjustable/fixed output) driver out there, and make sure it can go down as low as 160mA with Vf/Vout as low as 2.2V.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-16 133409.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-16 133409.png
    36.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Ribbonsss

Thank you for your reply, sir. May I ask again, I still don't understand about the 4 pins in the document. Since your attachment only shows input and output wire from laserdiode, to which pins did they go, and are the other 2 pins not needed in this specific circuit?

Thank you again for your attention

Looks like that diode has a built-in photodiode, pins 3 and 4, that you could use as optical feedback for precise output power control. Pins 1 and 2 are for powering the actual laser diode itself. If you just want the laser to emit light and dont want/need the precise output control you can just ignore pins 3 and 4/

Giannis_TDM

Thank you for your reply, sir. May I ask again, I still don't understand about the 4 pins in the document. Since your attachment only shows input and output wire from laserdiode, to which pins did they go, and are the other 2 pins not needed in this specific circuit?

Thank you again for your attention
I have confirmed and run the open source buck driver to easily do even 5mA regulated CC at 2.2vF, You can build one up by following the schematic and parts list on my site: https://sites.google.com/view/giannislasershack/open-source-drivers