Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DIY Laser Power Meter

danq

IgorT said:
I'm having trouble finding the LTC1050.

I read the LTC is a direct replacement for a 7650 or 7652, but i can't find the datasheets.

But our stores do have something called ICL7650. Is this it? Would it work in place of the LTC, if i use those two external capacitors?
based on the datasheets they look close enough... same pinout, too.
(found the datasheets through Newark)

IgorT

Yeah, the LTC is a direct replacement for them, but already contains internal capacitors.

But even tho they had them online, they didn't have them in stock. I ended up buying a 14 pin version of the LTC1050 and it will be here tomorrow. If i bridge pins 6 and 7 i will be able to just stick it into the same 8pin socket (with four pins hanging in air on one side and two on the other) and it'll work.

It was expensive, but i need the meter to work asap.

danq

IgorT said:
(with four pins hanging in air on one side and two on the other) and it'll work.

better put caps on those spare pins so no electrons leak out... ::)

danq said:
[quote author=IgorT link=1200112201/375#387 date=1207599026] ;D Are you in "pain" again?
no, I'm still here in 'alifornia
(on the Left Coast of North America)
;)
DanQ[/quote]
i don ged eh....

IgorT

So i revived the meter with the 14 pin LTC, and put it all together.
The box is 11x10x6cm. It was a tight fit and it's a little messy on the inside, need to adjust a few wires. The thermopile is puhing slightly against the DPM. 1mm less, and i couldn't have done it.

I got the wrong ON/OFF switch, so i'm using the range select switch for that at the moment. And i still have to draw a label for the front panel. I also have to move the pot knob in a little deper, as it's sticking out way too far.

Otherwise i'm quite happy with the way it came out. It's not really a hand held, but it's not too big either.

Attachments

• LPM_LR-Pic.JPG
    LPM_LR-Pic.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 205

IgorT

Thanks!

And thank you again, for shipping the thermopile to me. Without your help i would probably never have an LPM.

EDIT: The finished LPM, measuring one of my KD50s. All that's missing now is the range select switch under the W / mW symbols. I like it even more now.

Thank you Knimrod for putting this great project together!

Attachments

• LPM_1.JPG
    LPM_1.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 216
Great work Igor!

It looks so professional! Oh, wait... you are a professional! ;) I'm glad you've finally got a meter, it really does help one figure out just what the heck our lasers are doing. I really like the crosshairs graphic on the opening... very sci-fi.

Cheers, CC

IgorT

Thank you. The panel is what i always do - as simple a "design" as possible. Just a few white letters on a black background can do a lot, if you compare the "before and after" pics. The old pics look incredibly dull to me now.

The finish is a self adhesive ink-jet label, which i laminated after printing. I also moved the knob in deeper, because mounted the way it's supposed to, it sticks out way too far and looks ugly. Especially since the box is so small.

Oh, and CC.. I thought i saw the "crosshair" on the Coherent Filed Master sensor in the picture CNI sent me. That's why i put it there. But when i looked at the pic again, i saw there was no crosshair on the thermopile. So i have no idea where it came from.. :)

Anyone have any idea where a sensor head module can be obtained from since the ebay auction is over?

IgorT

That is gonna be next to impossible i'm afraid. It was pretty much a one time only deal and very limited from the start.

We were just very very lucky, that someone decided to sell surpluss Coherent stuff. There probably won't be a similiar opportunity for a long time.

On the other hand, i was thinking, if it is possible to order replacement thermopiles for maybe the Coherent FieldMaster? Go to Coherent and look at the meters with a separate sensor, then contact them, say you have a meter with a bad sensor head, and ask if you could order a spare.

The chances are low, or it could be expensive, but it can't hurt to ask. Good luck!