Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Z700U Trigger tube 12 Hour Nixie Clock

Hey ,

This has been a ongoing project for the past month or so on and off and I have finally reached the point where its working as it should .

Its a 12 Hour Nixie clock using Z700U trigger tubes and front facing nixie tubes , AM is indicated by a A and PM is indicated by a V ( for now ) , Supply voltage to the board is 415V DC @ 20mA .

Neon indicators between the hours and minuets are polarity switched using a relay to alternate the glow in the tube , Time keeping is done by a RTC module and Arduino to output a 1Hz drive signal that drives a relay and in turn drives the input to the seconds stage .

Its built on prototype board all point to point with a lot of thin coated cable

Not the best picture , hope to have better ones soon along with a video : D

008 by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

Last edited:

Benm

Oh wow, that's a big load of discrete stuff to build a clock.

Get rid of the arduino though, get your timebase from the mains power signal (very accuracte in the long term) and make it oldschool all the way ;)

Oh wow, that's a big load of discrete stuff to build a clock.

Get rid of the arduino though, get your timebase from the mains power signal (very accuracte in the long term) and make it oldschool all the way ;)

Thanks , I had planed to do main time keeping as I did on my other clock , but as I planed for this to be power from 12 - 19V DC I never added it in , I may do if I go down the mains powered option

Wow, all that glass..... beautiful!

I turned out well considering it was layed out on the go

Last edited:

ped

Ion, great work again...I didn't see this till now.

You wouldn't have a cheap source of Nixies (UK Based) would you? or maybe you could flog me some, even secondhand ?

Id say ebay is the best place that's where most of it came from , I would but don't have any other than the ones in the clock : P .

There are a few nixie surplus places but they are outside the UK