Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Suggestion: Turn off the ability to give reps for old posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Spoke with the mods and we made some vbulletin settings changes which should hopefully address this issue.

As a thought, I think before negative repping people we need to really think about it. I mean to neg rep someone, they really really really need to have done something blatantly terrible. Like clearly breaking forum rules, spamming, or blatantly unethical/stupid stuff.

We all share the same hobby and while I know its impossible to have everyone get along, lets try and hold back on neg reps.

Take care guys

Peace,

-Ave

^Agreed!

Imagine how much better this forum would be without half of the nonsense that goes on here :undecided:

Maybe......everyone needs to take a minute and listen to at least one Bob Marley song, or click the link in my signature about the pale blue dot :)

-Alex

Last edited:
A chat box makes sense. Most , if not all other forums I use has one.

We still have #laserchat.

Though if you could implement one I think it'd be an awesome addition. I've had several PM conversations that would've been 9001% easier in a chat room.

Last edited:
While laserchat is good, I think it would be neat to have a chat dedicated to LPF, on the website itself. On the bottom right hand corner there could be a small "chat" icon with all members who are participating listed and being able to have friendly conversations and catch-up.

My opinion :)

-Alex

I am afraid to even look at that thread to see what is being discussed, I just feel things too deeply, both sides of any issue. I really wish there was a limit the damage someone with high reps can do, there are members who are so afraid of that big stick they won't say a word in public. What the rep system amounts to is rank, it keeps people under long time members thumbs, is that what needs to happen to keep a forum in order? Maybe it is, someone came up with this concept to solve a problem, but I am not sure what it solves. I wonder what would happen if negs were completely anonymous, would it cause more problems or less, if you could do so without concern for revenge later.

Just about any system mankind can come up with, there are ways to abuse it. If we could only give positive reps that too could be artificially inflated if two long term members, or a few of them, just got together and circle rep'ed themselves into infinity. I know I give a lot more reps to members who are being attacked by another member than I ordinarily would do and now I'm finding myself ready to give three times the positive reps to another member I recently neg'd without good reason, trying to make up for my past sin, I shouldn't had done that.

Maybe we just need a rep guidance sticky outlining the circumstances to use negs. As far as positives, I don't care why they are used, that should be up to each member.

Last edited:
A chat her lpf would be nice to have, and have it it log in anyone who is actually logged in, and pop up an alert if someone is mentioned, or tagged in conversation. I expect that's quite a bit outside of vbulleting capabilities though.

@Alaskan - Conversely, while I try to be generous with plus reps, I do think twice before leaving any neg rep. If there is a way to do it in Vbulletin - to leave a neg rep, but control how many points are taken off, most people would like that I think. I know I would.

Also, don't know if this is general knowledge or not, but neg reps take off only HALF of the points, related to how many points the person leaving the rep has. If you have 100 points, and neg rep someone, they only lose 50, if you plus rep them, they get 100. So to actually end up in the red people really do need to be quite bad.

Last edited:
A chat her lpf would be nice to have, and have it it log in anyone who is actually logged in, and pop up an alert if someone is mentioned, or tagged in conversation. I expect that's quite a bit outside of vbulleting capabilities though.

Not at all, there are tons of plugins that add chat support to vBulletin.

CometChat, VSa ChatBox, vBShout, and Cyb Chatbox to name just a few.

vBulletin is a very powerful platform.

/derail

Last edited:
I know that chat can easily use too much server resources, LPF I am sure must run on a dedicated server or at least a high end VPS, considering the amount of traffic here it may be a problem or require a server upgrade, I think it would get a lot of use. A long time ago I used to use a forum that had a shout box that was less than normal chat, you could only scroll back a couple of pages and what you typed would soon be lost, anyone that was logged in could go to the shout box and click on it and type, it was quick almost like chat but not quite the same, less features than chat, maybe something like that is available. If Avery needed to upgrade the server or if it caused a slowdown then we might not get chat.

Alan

diachi

Didn't LPF have a shout box a long time ago? I seem to recall there being one at one point. Maybe I'm mistaken, would have been years ago.

Last edited:
If there was a shoutbox it definitely predated my time here. Would be an interesting option. Leave the option for logging for users, to log it locally if they want to, and only be able to scroll 1-2 pages back on forum.

...you do realize this entire post just lends to what Cyparagon said? You two have differing premises for the use of the reputation system.

Let's talk about you shall we? Cyparagon, in open forum hijacked a thread complaining about it and you banned me instead. You can't be trusted as a mod imho.

Since you're nothing more than an empty shell of seething hatred, I don't care what you think, visiblegreen. I'm willing to improve and move on, but you clearly aren't. "forgive and forget" isn't something you'll ever understand. Your loss, not mine.

Willing to improve? No you aren't willing to change. Only when your ass is on the line then you seem to shape up but only for a short time. I noticed that you test the system but the last time with alaskan really went bad for you and you messed up big time. Do the hobby and community a favor and get lost.

Spoke with the mods and we made some vbulletin settings changes which should hopefully address this issue.

As a thought, I think before negative repping people we need to really think about it. I mean to neg rep someone, they really really really need to have done something blatantly terrible. Like clearly breaking forum rules, spamming, or blatantly unethical/stupid stuff.

We all share the same hobby and while I know its impossible to have everyone get along, lets try and hold back on neg reps.

Take care guys

Peace,

-Ave

All we need is people to respect others but because of your lack of involvement with these issues this forum is in anarchy. The mods don't work together as a team. A few mods told me you don't even respond to most emails from them in the first place.
We need you to keep the peace.

I am afraid to even look at that thread to see what is being discussed, I just feel things too deeply, both sides of any issue. I really wish there was a limit the damage someone with high reps can do, there are members who are so afraid of that big stick they won't say a word in public. What the rep system amounts to is rank, it keeps people under long time members thumbs, is that what needs to happen to keep a forum in order? Maybe it is, someone came up with this concept to solve a problem, but I am not sure what it solves. I wonder what would happen if negs were completely anonymous, would it cause more problems or less, if you could do so without concern for revenge later.

Just about any system mankind can come up with, there are ways to abuse it. If we could only give positive reps that too could be artificially inflated if two long term members, or a few of them, just got together and circle rep'ed themselves into infinity. I know I give a lot more reps to members who are being attacked by another member than I ordinarily would do and now I'm finding myself ready to give three times the positive reps to another member I recently neg'd without good reason, trying to make up for my past sin, I shouldn't had done that.

Maybe we just need a rep guidance sticky outlining the circumstances to use negs. As far as positives, I don't care why they are used, that should be up to each member.

I think the rep should be modified to leave one point and one point only. That way no one can become too powerful and ruin newcomers like cyparagon has done to so many.

Odd, when c0ldshadow was helping me out with the monthly fund raiser I had replies to my questions really fast.
The negative rep at just 1 point/number removed is a good idea only if the person is over 100 points though.

Status
Not open for further replies.