Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Reputation System Discussion and Poll

What should be done with the reputation system?

• Keep the new system

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find an ear fetish far easier to accept than a toe fetish, ewww... and after watching that nearly sensual video of an ear massage, I'm interested now :p

There is no way 1/1 would work, that would too easily allow abuse of the system

That's the point abuse would be blatantly obvious.

At the same time staying at 1 per day would mean people would give more consideration to giving rep, positive or negative.

Last edited:
Wait a second. With 10/70 are you saying that would be where a member can give out 10 reps per day but it has to be spread out across 70 different members before you can come around and give rep to the same member again?
If so, it is difficult to find 70 different members even posting for crying out loud. How the heck is that going to work?

Its easy, you're expected to sprinkle plus reps everyday to anyone and everyone for anything. You know, like participation trophies.

If a seven day cool off is needed, and again that's bare minimum, then let's make it 1/7. After all, far more likely to see 7 other deserving posts in a week, as opposed to 70.....

No one likes it at "just" 50 now.

My only issue with the system has been when it is being used to slap others around for petty reason, other than that I like it.

What is wrong with participation trophies, or even reps for supporting the forum when donations are made? I know, the horror of it all, that is tantamount to buying your reputation. Perhaps we should change the system to use a different word, call them participation kudo points instead of reputation and use different colors, maybe change the rep button to a like button... :p

neon-kudos.gif

If I could just get enough likes, then the people I like I could give more likes to, and the people I don't I can take more away from (up to a limit). When put in this light, it just seems stupid! YET I LIKE TO GIVE PLUS REPS, and the more I get the more I can give, so I'm guilty as charged.

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
....What is wrong with participation trophies, or even reps for supporting the forum when donations are made? I know, the horror of it all, that is tantamount to buying your reputation....

We did have a system like that back in the late 2009 era. Unfortunately it resulted in similar issues to what we are going through now, and after a long heated debate it was stopped.

I find an ear fetish far easier to accept than a toe fetish, ewww... and after watching that nearly sensual video of an ear massage, I'm interested now :p

Mmm, ear massage is yummy: :)

diachi

Wait a second. With 10/70 are you saying that would be where a member can give out 10 reps per day but it has to be spread out across 70 different members before you can come around and give rep to the same member again?
If so, it is difficult to find 70 different members even posting for crying out loud. How the heck is that going to work?

Its easy, you're expected to sprinkle plus reps everyday to anyone and everyone for anything. You know, like participation trophies.

If a seven day cool off is needed, and again that's bare minimum, then let's make it 1/7. After all, far more likely to see 7 other deserving posts in a week, as opposed to 70.....

No one likes it at "just" 50 now.

Agreed - finding 70 people who regularly post would be next to impossible. That'd probably drive people to give rep to old inactive accounts. Even at the old ratio I often found I couldn't rep people who were deserving of it without first spreading some around.

I'd be on board with 1/7 - that should limit rep abuse in the same way that 10/70 would but with a more reasonable spread.

I don't imagine we want lots of positive reps for no good reason (Or participation trophies as IE put it!), just as we don't want lots of negative reps for no good reason.

Regarding participation trophies - I don't agree with that idea at all. In real life all it creates is a bunch of people who don't want to put in the effort to earn whatever trophy or rep they want. They want a pat on the head and a raise just because they showed up to work, but never actually did any work, amongst creating other issues. I'm not looking forward to working with a generation raised on participation trophies. The same thing should apply here I think, plus rep for actually contributing to the forum, not just because you showed up and acted civil - that's expected and shouldn't need to be rewarded. Granted, after some of the posts I've seen from newcomers it can be refreshing to see someone who showed up and acted civil, followed the basic etiquette and introduced themselves etc.

Last edited:
If a contribution is good I want to rep it.
But there are days when I don't want to rep anything, however I owe a rep or 2 for a coupe of great things I read by a person I had given rep recently for something else good, only I have to spread rep over a week to...who?
It's awful impractical as it is now.
Some people do a lot of good stuff and I want to rep them for true merit, having to work to find participation trophies means redefining what is rep worthy, now the problem snowballs.
I just want to rep good stuff, even if it's by the same dozen or so and occasional stranger with something awesome to contribute or they have explained something well.

As of now, the rep system has been all but shut down as giving out REP+ is nearly impossible so this was a very clever forwards thinking move on the part of the Mods/Admins. I really can't blame them though because I imagine their inboxes light up like a Christmas Tree with complaints about negative reps.
Soooooo, the ratio used to be 1 to 2 and now it is 1 to 10 = a massive increase but the ratio is not as bad as the rotation amount. That is what is the killer in the current equation.
I feel that a ratio of 1 to 3 or 1 to 4 is doable but only with knocking the rotation amount to below 16 and if a member starts to get unfairly smacked around with negative reps it can be simply reported.
Anyways, this issue has used up way too much time and energy. I am going to hop on other threads and see if there is anybody out there that needs my help or has posted some cool things that I can enjoy and/or learn from.
Shouldn't that be the main focus here anyways, for the love of LASERS!!! :)

Last edited:

ped

I think he was the only person I've ever "met" on this forum who was truly a good guy, never any malice, and went out of his way to be nice.

Shame.

Lazerbeak, he was gone, then checked in a while back, now gone again. I miss him too, really great guy, always had appropriate image to add to his posts. hope he is doing ok wherever he's at

Last edited:

Pman

Yes, couldn't agree more ped. He was my best friend here. Without going into any details he had family issues with spending so much time and $ here. Honestly hurts that you brought up his name. I always tried and try to be kind and help others but he was one of a kind. He was also an incredible artist as he showed me some of his drawings.
:cryyy:

Status
Not open for further replies.