Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Pulse Laser

Hello, is there a laser that I could buy that can be pulsed on and off between 500,000,000 Hz to 500,000,100 Hz. And can it be adjusted using a pulse generator?

diachi

Hello, is there a laser that I could buy that can be pulsed on and off between 500,000,000 Hz to 500,000,100 Hz. And can it be adjusted using a pulse generator?

There's a whole bunch that you can buy, see here: https://www.rp-photonics.com/femtosecond_lasers.html

You probably don't even want to know the prices on that kind of equipment... Unless you're a university or some other well funded lab, which if you're asking the question you're probably not.

16x Bluray write speed is 576Mbit/s, so it should be doable with a laser diode. The drive electronics are a whole other story. Even if you were to find a schematic, the RF aspect of the board layout would need to be carefully examined. If you have no RF electronics experience, you either need to buy a prebuilt system, try hacking an optical drive, or try something else for your project.

Last edited:

diachi

It would really help if we knew what the application is. If it's for optical data communication then something like a 16x BluRay diode - or many other semiconductor lasers - would be able to do the job, as per Cyp's post. Although as he quite rightly said, at those frequencies you need to know about RF electronics to make a driver capable of modulating that fast - or find something ready built. The fastest driver I know how to build (Thanks Sam's FAQ!) only goes up to 1MHz using an LM317/338 and a dual op-amp.

If you need ultrashort pulses, such as is produced by the systems I listed, then you'd need to go that way - Certainly, I don't believe any of the diodes we use would ever be capable of femtosecond pulses.

Last edited:
Yes do you want to control pulse width/duration or just modulate between 500 and 510?