Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

New all copper host project

^^^Interesting idea. It might also be possible to chrome plate the entire host before milling the grooves. That way you'd have a dual coloured host and the exposed copper in the grooves wont tarnish as easily.:beer:

I like those ideas, keep em coming!

Here some other designs I was playing with. I may also finish this design as I still really like the look of this one. In some way I like it more. Its a bit more chill.
host6_zps351040e2.jpg

host8_zpsac805e2d.jpg

host7_zps228f5d67.jpg

Last edited:
Those are awesome dude if you find someone to make them I would pitch in as well love the look of them...

Nwfreefly that is really cool. I am wondering though since you planning on either copper or Damascus if a combination could be used! It would be interesting! One thing I have not seen a metal host overlaid with carbon fiber. You could theoretically put the laser in the metal host with those designs in it and then lay led's in the carbon fiber to simulate the color of the laser but with led's I do not think that I am explaining my self right but I hope you get the Idea

Damn, i like that, i think id even prefer the second version.

I really would like to get one, although i dont even know how to build a laser, yet.
But this host is to cool to not have it. :D

Jstr

I really like the first version, but both are cool.

^^^Interesting idea. It might also be possible to chrome plate the entire host before milling the grooves. That way you'd have a dual coloured host and the exposed copper in the grooves wont tarnish as easily.:beer:

Ya, then you could fill the grooves with epoxy and gitd to get a chrome colored version of the original. If you kept it bare, it might be hard to polish though.

Curious and interested - Especially liked the first one you showed also.

Something you might consider regarding polishing and filling grooves. - Lots of the handmade wooden pens use Cyanoacrylate for a final finish that gives a clear, hard, lacquer like coating that is smooth and fills in some of the micro grooves. Wonder if that would work on this?

I really like the first version, but both are cool.

Ya, then you could fill the grooves with epoxy and gitd to get a chrome colored version of the original. If you kept it bare, it might be hard to polish though.

Curious and interested - Especially liked the first one you showed also.

Something you might consider regarding polishing and filling grooves. - Lots of the handmade wooden pens use Cyanoacrylate for a final finish that gives a clear, hard, lacquer like coating that is smooth and fills in some of the micro grooves. Wonder if that would work on this?

Bingo! Thats exactly our plan. This will eliminate any roughness dulling the GITD.
Other ideas is patina the entire host then polish leaving only the grooves with the patina. Coppers is such a beautiful metal and there are many different patina options.
Laser engraving the patterns also a interesting idea we will research.

Grainde- Is that carbon fiber one of yours? How the heck did anyone pull that off? was that milled from carbon fiber tube? That is so sick!

Pman

This does look pretty amazing. +REP to pull it off

This does look pretty amazing. +REP to pull it off
Thanks buddy, well pull it off. I find in life one of my most favorite parts of the human experience is having an idea grow to a vision and accomplish it. Greatest feeling there is.
NW- still waiting on the file so I can help ya out!

Yeah brutha I haven't forgot about you. We just finally got in touch with the machinist this evening after a game of phone tag. We need to convert an STL file to a IGES.
Thanks again CS

Last edited:
I love the aztec-like designs. Maybe you can get custom tritium vials to fit into the host for the markings.

Nute

Be sure to update us on pricing whenever possible. Thanks for sharing!
-Nute

Grainde- Is that carbon fiber one of yours? How the heck did anyone pull that off? was that milled from carbon fiber tube? That is so sick!

Unfortunately not, this particular Groove belongs to mhemling33. It was apparently carbon fibre dipped...;) :beer: