Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

My New LPM Design

Several years ago I built an LPM based on an Ophir head, voltmeter, and DC-DC converter (original post). Since that time I've found the need for something new:
  • Powers are getting higher, and my Ophir head maxes out at about 10 watts. Need a new head for dual-diode designs.
  • Really large case takes up a lot of room in my toolbox.
  • Separate sensor and cabling also takes up a lot of room in my toolbox.
  • I would like it to be rechargeable.
I won an auction on E-Bay for a used Ophir head that can read up to 150 watts, so I rebuilt a new LPM board to work with it.

Features:
  • Small, one piece unit (I do realize this compromises some utility and opens up the display for "attack" by a rogue beam, but it is a convenient form factor for me).
  • Rechargeable LiPo via USB-C.
  • My own voltmeter design now using 24 bit ADC. Auto ranging between mw and W.
  • Max / Average and onboard logging.
  • Auto power off...and off is really off so I can leave this in a drawer for a while without it losing charge.
While this looks like a two piece design, the sensor is screwed to the display. I originally had a one piece design but It was very thick and resembled an early cell phone. This looks a little more streamlined to me. I looked into some sweet magnetic connector so I could swap out sensors...but decided I just needed to call it done. This was a pretty long project.

Photos!

I've published the Eagle files, firmware source and case IGES files to this GitHub repo:

Enjoy!

Snecho

That has got to be the coolist thing I've seen in a while! You designed that yourself? Wow. This is a truly amazing accomplishment, congrats 🍻

You should sell these.

That has got to be the coolist thing I've seen in a while! You designed that yourself? Wow. This is a truly amazing accomplishment, congrats 🍻

You should sell these.

Happy to leave that market to J Bauer. It would drive me nuts if I *had* to make these.

How much did the parts cost you 🤩?

Do I have to admit that?

The Ophir sensor was $277 and the most expensive single part. Electronic components were about $150 with $60 of that just the display. Then there was PCB fabrication (~$50), 3D printing ($40) and, I'm a little ashamed to say, the grey front panel was a custom graphic overlay the would have been super cheap in quantity....but turned out to be $180 to have a single one made. The thing just didn't look finished without it though. I got a little carried away but after a while it was kind of a test to see how professional looking I could make it. It could have been done a lot cheaper.

gazer101

Do I have to admit that?

The Ophir sensor was $277 and the most expensive single part. Electronic components were about $150 with $60 of that just the display. Then there was PCB fabrication (~$50), 3D printing ($40) and, I'm a little ashamed to say, the grey front panel was a custom graphic overlay the would have been super cheap in quantity....but turned out to be $180 to have a single one made. The thing just didn't look finished without it though. I got a little carried away but after a while it was kind of a test to see how professional looking I could make it. It could have been done a lot cheaper.
That's an amazing price! Hats off to you