Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Looking for recommendations for a green laser pointer

Georgia

First off, I know nothing about laser pointers so I joined this forum to get your help. I bought a green laser pointer from Dragon Lasers (in China) but it died and the company no longer stocks the Viper. My uses for this tool are 1) birding watching to point out a bird (I seek a laser for day time use and some night time use for owling), and 2) looking at constellations (night time use). I live in Mexico and haven't a clue where to find one here but I will be in Arizona the last half of this month and want to bring one back with me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

GSS

I would just get a few 301's or 303 532nm green lasers.
For $6 to $10 each it better to get 2 as one will usually be stronger. They will do from 50mW to 80mW.
These are DPSS and don't work well in cold weather though. You can keep them warm in your pocket or cuff them with your hand.
Ok, I left out the safety part about pointing at birds but use your judgement and point below obviously..
Type in 301 lasers on ebay and make sure its from a US sight or you will wait for ever if it comes from China.

Georgia

Thank you, GSS. I omitted commentary about safety for birds, etc. because I am an experienced birder. I use it occasionally with inexperienced birders who struggle to find the bird; I start way below the bird and run the light up to but below the bird. I bought a green laser pointer at our Office Depot but it doesn't work well in the middle of the day. My viper was great for all hours of the day. Anyway, I will head to eBay........

GSS

Very nice to know about the safety you take.. The 301's 303's are focusable so you can always widen the dot a bit for extra precaution.
The battery goes "NEG" to the front and "POS" to the tail on these..Yes they are positive ground and it will kill the laser if you put the battery in wrong, so be cautious..
There are 520nm greens that are direct diodes and work well in the cold but it will be more expensive.
I would try the 301's first as they are cheap..

Snecho

Yes, there are no obvious retail locations that sell lasers. Online is pretty much the only way to go unfortunately. The laser 303's should serve you well as said. Only in harsh winter conditions will you experience issues with those.

Also I think it's pretty funny and ironic how many newbies come here hell bent on finding lasers to scare geese and birds off their property and you're needing the exact opposite 🤣

Welcome!

Reactions: GSS
Welcome to the LPF, Georgia. You have already gotten good advice, but with the COVID19 virus going around it may take some time to get a pointer from China. Sorry, but that's just the way things are now.

Snecho

Welcome to the LPF, Georgia. You have already gotten good advice, but with the COVID19 virus going around it may take some time to get a pointer from China. Sorry, but that's just the way things are now.
Always can buy the 303's that are on eBay from US sellers ;)