Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How did you all stumble upon lasers?

Mid to late 70's, I got interested in holography. Mainly from articles in Scientific American, etc. Also - just always generally interested in lasers - I think I read a biography on Maiman once.

So a bought a HeNe from Edmund Scientific. I was stationed in Augsburg, Germany at the time.

Guess what it was like to build and run a homebrew holography lab on an army base, IN the barracks? My commanding officers have ALWAYS considered me a bit nutz... radio amateur, shortwave listener... Junk all over the place (but neat and clean, organized). I had comms equipment... for me, that was a bit of "taking my work home with me", I was a SIGINT'er.

I was among the first computer hobbiests (first computer was a Southwest Technical Products 6800 system... 8 bit... buss speed / computer speed = 2 Khz). Mass storage = audio cassette tape, 300 baud. This was late 70's.

Later...

1998 or so bought a cheap red laser pointer from radio shack. On impulse + Cat Toy. At some point I made the mistake of putting it in the top of a closet WITH the batteries inside. 3+ years or so... innards = green goo.

Recently - Laserglow Lyra B-5 5mw green pointer (4-5mw). It be very purty. :)

Just about an hour ago:
From OLike, ordered a 200mw green Gatlin laser, extra battery/charger, and a tripod. :drool:

Eventually I want to get into DIY'ing.

=====

@ T-J;

At one time, at Fort Hood (back in the early 70s) they were talking / experimenting(?) with the concept of portable / practicle personal ruby laser weapons.

I am not sure how far they got... (it was kind of classified, but I was a JROTC at the time and overheard things on a field trip).

But instead of a Big 'Ole Battery in a backback, huge power cable, and xenon lamps, this thing would have used "flare cartridges". I imagine some kind of magnesium chemistry... cartridges that would be loaded into a mirrored "flash chamber" next to the ruby rod.

Last edited:

Noctox

Since I was a wee little one, I was always fascinated with little 5mw pointer keychains you find everywhere. I wanted something stronger, so after a little research- coming across this site too- I bought a 50mw green which died 2 years ago. A recent YouTube session made me reminisce on my old laser, so I signed up here and now own the >400mw O-Like 532. I'm sure I'll be buying a blue soon. :D

I'm selling a really nice 2W blue... :whistle:
Since I was a wee little one, I was always fascinated with little 5mw pointer keychains you find everywhere. I wanted something stronger, so after a little research- coming across this site too- I bought a 50mw green which died 2 years ago. A recent YouTube session made me reminisce on my old laser, so I signed up here and now own the >400mw O-Like 532. I'm sure I'll be buying a blue soon. :D

I was 13 and read this article:
Build your own LASER!

I got $0.50 a week allowance and $0.50 for cutting 1/2 acre of fescue when school was out for the summer... buying a CK722 transistor was a really big step and I saved like forever ... saving for that ruby rod was an impossibility... by the time I had a part time job, there were girls and the personal laser had to wait for a very long time. I do not remember the date I put down $49 for a 5mw laser pen, but I was hooked.

- Ray

Back in the early 80's I happened across a Popular Electronics (I think) issue with the plans for making a power supply for a HeNe that was battery powered from a 6V latern type battery.
I ordered a tube from a company down in Florida (and they shipped it even though the shipping charges were calculated incorrectly shorting them a couple of bucks.) and made up a PC board for the schematic given.
Perhaps I might add that the board was shaped and designed to fit on the top of a 6V Volkswagen ignition coil and that the measured output was up to 70,000 volts. (for a really good fresh battery once.)
A simple coil wire out of the top of the coil to the tube was a good choice but the end of the tube actually fit snugly into the top connection point of the coil. The grounding was though a coil wire. It worked great for a few months but I didn't know what to do with it. The fragility of it was a big deterrence to taking it anywhere BUT the high voltage power supply was almost indestructable and I had many fun times with it.
Just 2 weeks ago I was cleaning up some of my old boxes of "Hobby" things that I have been packing around with me for the last 30 years and I came across the ol' project. Alas, the tube had been cracked and lost its precious gas. I reluctantly threw it away.
I'm planning on taking the PSU to work and having a bit of fun with it ! (Did I mention I work in a lighting and plumbing store ?)

I came across an article detailing how to make a DVD burner red (not the KipKay one), forgot about it for a couple years, came across ANOTHER article (again, not the KipKay one), and decided to do it because I was bored at the time.

Olly

Disassembled an old laser scanner and found it intriguing !

Had fasniation at school 35 years ago saw my first 1mw red laser the
size of a tissue box cost the school 10k, since then i thought after a long break it would be cool to to have a much higher power lazer at a tiny fraction of the price