Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: 405-G-1 Glass Lens Mod - 31% Increase vs AixiZ!

Re: FS: 405-G-1 Glass Lens Mod-28% Increase vs Aix

Nice!
I would get one if it weren't for Igor's GB...

Spyderz20x6 said:
I would get one if it weren't for Igor's GB...

I thought about that too, but here's my decision; I'll take one for my Daguin Dorcy Jr. 6x and I'll wait on Igor's for his Romisen 6x and my future Daguin 8x...  :p

I'd like a pre-cut spring, though (because I want to keep the one I have for comparisons etc). Surely it can't be that big of a deal to cut one up (for a Dorcy Jr.) & ship it along for me, Jay... (pleeeeeeease)?

jayrob

rkcstr said:
Yeah, really, not a concern for me. I LOVE the thinner beam and now having an extra 65mW from nothing (well, aside from the cost of the lens) ;D

Now, if only I could recreate Dave's findings... [goes to contemplate spending $200 on an 8x drive to get himself 1/2W of 405nm] [smiley=evil.gif]

Hot off the press! :D

Check this out! It may be the 8X in another sled...
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1237590110/0
Jay

jake21

thats the sled i have :cool: they are not cheap :(

jayrob

Traveller said:
[quote author=Spyderz20x6 link=1237515270/16#16 date=1237590130]I would get one if it weren't for Igor's GB...

I thought about that too, but here's my decision; I'll take one for my Daguin Dorcy Jr. 6x and I'll wait on Igor's for his Romisen 6x and my future Daguin 8x...  :p

I'd like a pre-cut spring, though (because I want to keep the one I have for comparisons etc). Surely it can't be that big of a deal to cut one up (for a Dorcy Jr.) & ship it along for me, Jay... (pleeeeeeease)?
[/quote]

Each AixiZ module comes with a spring, so you will end up with an extra spring, and of course I will be short one, but I will do it for you! :)

I just had to mention that, because obviously I don't want to do this on every lens mod, otherwise I won't have springs for my AixiZ modules...
Jay

daguin

Also, these springs are not proprietary.  They are just a spring.  Virtually any spring with the same dimensions will work.

In many of my Dorcy builds, I used the part of the battery contact spring that I cut off as the lens spring.

Peace,
dave

jayrob

Hey Dave, I had one person tell me that they don't like the lens...

I personally don't mind the 'splash' because it is only noticeable to me if I am looking at the dot at close distance, or if it is out of focus...

What is your opinion?
Jay

daguin

jayrob said:
Hey Dave, I had one person tell me that they don't like the lens...

I personally don't mind the 'splash' because it is only noticeable to me if I am looking at the dot at close distance, or if it is out of focus...

What is your opinion?
Jay

That person has obviously never seen a Merideth lens ;)

Tell him to PM me.  I'll buy it from him.

Peace,
dave

rkcstr

I don't see why you would be unhappy with this lens. The gain in power is awesome, and since the beam comes out so much more concentrated, it is more visible AND burns things more easily :D I could pop a balloon from about 20-30 feet with the collimated beam of my 6x at 200mA [smiley=evil.gif]

jayrob

Traveller said:
[quote author=jayrob link=1237515270/16#20 date=1237598112] ...but I will do it for you!
Thx a bunch, Jay, PM sent :D
[/quote]

Got you covered!

You will not be disappointed! :)
Jay

jayrob

rkcstr said:
I don't see why you would be unhappy with this lens.  The gain in power is awesome, and since the beam comes out so much more concentrated, it is more visible AND burns things more easily  :D  I could pop a balloon from about 20-30 feet with the collimated beam of my 6x at 200mA  [smiley=evil.gif]

I am of the same mind...

Never looking at the dot at close distance. It's all about the beam in the dark! And the serious burning power! :eek:

I used to say 'leave the burning for the open can reds'... Not any more! :cool:
Jay

Hi Jayrob,
Did you send mine?  ::)

jayrob

Yours is the very next one on the list! :)

I have ordered plenty of AixiZ glass lenses for the mod, and they have been shipped. I expect them any day. Probably Monday. Or maybe even today...
Jay

daguin

leukoplast said:
BTW, is there a way to figure out how many mW's are being wasted in all the splatter?   Also, do all glass lenses do this?  For example, IgorT's lenses that he is doing a GB for?  Or a Meridith glass lens?   And why is there splatter anyway?  Is that just the true form of what the laser is really putting out?

It is very hard to define "wasted." If you mean not collimated, then you could measure the beam through an aperture that cut off the "splatter" and compare it to the measurement without the aperture.

EVERY lens, glass or acrylic, produces some uncollimated light. Single element lenses are worse (especially with an "open" back) because the light from the diode is entering the lens from different directions. In the "splatter" you are seeing not only the errant parts of the light from the window of the diode (light bounces around inside the diode can too), but also the errant light that is being reflected around in the module before entering the lens.

I have seen MUCH worse. In one of my comments I stated that the person who was not satisfied (I don't know if it was you) had obviously never seen a Merideth. The Merideth is MUCH worse. Also, this "splatter" is the main reason behind IgorT's multiple lens rejections in his research. My IgorT version #1 lens is so bad you can barely pick out the beam from the splatter! For a single element glass lens, this is very good. I most certainly am not trying to convince you to "accept" the lens, just trying to answer your questions and comments.

With the "normal" AixiZ acrylic this errant light (that leads to splatter) is the reason that the rear of the lens has a small aperture (that we usually open up). The beam is artificially "round" because of mechanical restriction NOT optical quality. This "rounder" beam is "bought" at the expense of output. With the greens it is the reason that the beam is shined through a aperture.

We have not seen IgorT's selection yet, so we cannot say what it looks like. It is the best one he could find. He rejected several along the way.

Peace,
dave

jayrob

daguin said:
[highlight]EVERY lens, glass or acrylic, produces some uncollimated light. [/highlight] Single element lenses are worse (especially with an "open" back) because the light from the diode is entering the lens from different directions.  In the "splatter" you are seeing not only the errant parts of the light from the window of the diode (light bounces around inside the diode can too), but also the errant light that is being reflected around in the module before entering the lens.  

[highlight]I have seen MUCH worse. [/highlight] In one of my comments I stated that the person who was not satisfied (I don't know if it was you) had obviously never seen a Merideth.  The Merideth is MUCH worse.  Also, this "splatter" is the main reason behind IgorT's multiple lens rejections in his research.  My IgorT version #1 lens is so bad you can barely pick out the beam from the splatter!  For a single element glass lens, this is very good.  I most certainly am not trying to convince you to "accept" the lens, just trying to answer your questions and comments.

With the "normal" AixiZ acrylic this errant light (that leads to splatter) is the reason that the rear of the lens has a small aperture (that we usually open up).  [highlight]The beam is artificially "round" because of mechanical restriction NOT optical quality.  [/highlight]This "rounder" beam is "bought" at the expense of output.  With the greens it is the reason that the beam is shined through a aperture.

We have not seen IgorT's selection yet, so we cannot say what it looks like.  It is the best one he could find.  He rejected several along the way.

Peace,
dave

Good stuff there Dave...

Very good informative post, thank you! :)

There have been pictures of the close up 'dot' on Glow In The Dark material from rkcstr, as well as his discriptions of the beam quality. So it's not like I'm trying to hide anything here.

It's not like I'm making a killing on this modification either. So take it or leave it...

By the way, I just put my 'test' diode from the SF-AW210 sled into a Pocket Mini at 280mA's...

One of the things I wanted to test with this diode, is to see how the FlexDrive can handle the voltage at 280mA's. It holds just fine at this current! :cool:

The power is right where I anticipated it to be... 384mW's! :D (using the 405-G-1 lens mod)

I know I already mentioned it, but I think this diode is the same as your 8X Dave!
Jay