Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice on using laser pointers in short film

ebgt

Hi.

I'm a film maker and have a script that involves pointing two lasers at an actors forehead for a period of time. This would be from very close range (15-40 cms). The laser would be locked on a stand and stable. However, the person would be able to move.

I'm aware that its a safety issue re. eyes. And gather that even the lowest power lasers can (potentially) cause injury.

I don't want to put any actors in a position where they are at risk. Plus, I'm legally liable and need to be insurable.

As far as I can see there are two solutions:

Either do it in post. Which is expensive and would be hard (on a shoestring) to accomplish believably.
Or
Well... that's why I'm here. I'm wondering if there's a solution I haven't heard of. Tech moves on - so maybe there is now a laser pointer that would be safe for this. Or something else.

Anyway - if anyone has any bright (pun intended) ideas, I'd appreciate it.

Cheers.

farbe2

A Laserpointer with <1mW would be save if the actor does not wear any glasses.
However most pointers are not 1mW, this needs to be checked beforehand or a high quality laser module needs to be purchased.
I am looking at Coherent or Thorlabs here. If these companies say 1mW there is certainly only 1mW.