Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Adding a simple laser pointer to an existing project of mine...

Must also keep in mind that the same 9v power supply is feeding the CS Generator Circuit... It is based off of the schematic pictured below, only there is a 1k ohm resistor on the output to the anode instead of a 75 ohm, and there is no meter,and Im using a 9v power supply instead of the 12-18... If it wont work with the 9v then Ill have to switch to a 12, so I need a steady source for the laser diode no matter what power supply is used...

WHAT!? I thought you were going to use the 9V wall wart for just the laser. 9V @ 200mA!? To power the whole thing? There is no way! You need a way more heavy duty PS than that. Maybe with the 1k ohm resister the voltage and current will be low enough to not burn out the 9V adapter, but it will take days to make your silver solution. When I start mine with the pure distilled water I have over 400mA flowing, usually it starts at about 410mA and it takes about 24 hours and is about 510mA by the time it's done. Although I do use a 1/2 gallon mason jar, what size mason jar are you going to use? That will certainly make a difference as will the surface area of the silver electrodes, mine are each a double wire.

Alan

Last edited:

WHAT!? I thought you were going to use the 9V wall wart for just the laser. 9V @ 200mA!? To power the whole thing? There is no way! You need a way more heavy duty PS than that. Maybe with the 1k ohm resister the voltage and current will be low enough to not burn out the 9V adapter, but it will take days to make your silver solution. When I start mine with the pure distilled water I have over 400mA flowing, usually it starts at about 410mA and it takes about 24 hours and is about 510mA by the time it's done. Although I do use a 1/2 gallon mason jar, what size mason jar are you going to use? That will certainly make a difference as will the surface area of the silver electrodes, mine are each a double wire.

Alan

Using 2 silver rods about 6 inches long in a standard wide mouth mason jar. The rods will only be about 1 inch apart. I'm wanting it to make around a 20ppm solution overnight. The Laser would only be used when you push the button to see how fine the "line" shines through the silver water. So your thinking I should use a PS that has a higher amperage? if so how high would you suggest?

Using 2 silver rods about 6 inches long in a standard wide mouth mason jar. The rods will only be about 1 inch apart. I'm wanting it to make around a 20ppm solution overnight. The Laser would only be used when you push the button to see how fine the "line" shines through the silver water. So your thinking I should use a PS that has a higher amperage? if so how high would you suggest?

1 inch is a little close, it will be easier for it to draw more current. The distilled water doesn't conduct electricity real good, but as the silver ions build up then it conducts better and better as there are more silver ions. Mine are over 2 inch apart almost the width of the jar opening. Replace that resistor with something adjustable and use the current meter. It's better to make it slow, then the particulate silver will be smaller and have more surface area for the same parts per million making it more effective. Overnight is fine, it doesn't have to take 24 hours. If your PS is as little as 9V - 12V I would get one capable of at least 2A. Adjust the resistor so the voltage is at 6V or less and see how much current is flowing through the distilled water, I am used to making it with my setup so I am not sure what it should be for you depending on the size of the jar, silver and 1 inch spacing etc. For overnight (8 hours or so?) I would adjust it to start at at least 500mA to begin with and see what happens overnight. You just need to test several times to see what works just right.

Alan

1 inch is a little close, it will be easier for it to draw more current. The distilled water doesn't conduct electricity real good, but as the silver ions build up then it conducts better and better as there are more silver ions. Mine are over 2 inch apart almost the width of the jar opening. Replace that resistor with something adjustable and use the current meter. It's better to make it slow, then the particulate silver will be smaller and have more surface area for the same parts per million making it more effective. Overnight is fine, it doesn't have to take 24 hours. If your PS is as little as 9V - 12V I would get one capable of at least 2A. Adjust the resistor so the voltage is at 6V or less and see how much current is flowing through the distilled water, I am used to making it with my setup so I am not sure what it should be for you depending on the size of the jar, silver and 1 inch spacing etc. For overnight (8 hours or so?) I would adjust it to start at at least 500mA to begin with and see what happens overnight. You just need to test several times to see what works just right.

Alan

Yes, my last generator was based off this same schematic, but I did it in a 1 gallon jar, with one 6 inch rod going straight down the center, and about 2 feet of silver wire wrapped in a large coil around the outside edge of the jar. The distance between the center rod and the outside coil was about 3 inches or so all the way around. I used a 12 volt PS rated at 1Amp, and it made the silver water at about 20ppm overnight... it was built in a very large project box (about 4x9) and took up a lot of room. It had to be put together... I want this one small enough to mount to a plastic lid for a wide mouthed mason jar and basically be all one piece other than the jar...

I'm making 3 of them, only one is for me... The other 2 are going to my mother in law and my aunt... so it needs to be so simple that all they have to do is fill the mason jar with distilled water, put the lid on and turn it on. I want to add the laser so that they don't have to look for a laser to see if its "done" yet... You know how the elderly can be when it comes to these sorts of things... so yeah, SIMPLE is best. :D

I have been using colloidal silver for years... and I will continue using it no matter what others say. I have seen dramatic results from it personally, and know people who have been cured of many things, including breast cancer, from it.

Yes, my last generator was based off this same schematic, but I did it in a 1 gallon jar, with one 6 inch rod going straight down the center, and about 2 feet of silver wire wrapped in a large coil around the outside edge of the jar. The distance between the center rod and the outside coil was about 3 inches or so all the way around. I used a 12 volt PS rated at 1Amp, and it made the silver water at about 20ppm overnight... it was built in a very large project box (about 4x9) and took up a lot of room. It had to be put together... I want this one small enough to mount to a plastic lid for a wide mouthed mason jar and basically be all one piece other than the jar...

I'm making 3 of them, only one is for me... The other 2 are going to my mother in law and my aunt... so it needs to be so simple that all they have to do is fill the mason jar with distilled water, put the lid on and turn it on. I want to add the laser so that they don't have to look for a laser to see if its "done" yet... You know how the elderly can be when it comes to these sorts of things... so yeah, SIMPLE is best. :D

I have been using colloidal silver for years... and I will continue using it no matter what others say. I have seen dramatic results from it personally, and know people who have been cured of many things, including breast cancer, from it.

Yes I agree, and you sure don't need a flue shot every year if you drink a little everyday. It's unfortunate that it's been banned in some countries due to efforts by big pharma. It also kills mold, and if you spray it on some kinds of vegetables and fruits they will last longer.

Alan

Well, I decided to go with the other laser module. THIS one. Also going with a 12 volt PS with at least 1.5A to power it all. I may have to use different capacitors or resistors for the 3v output for the laser, depending on how it goes with my test breadboards, but here is my design...

Here is the board....

Top of board...
i.png

Bottom of board...

i.png

Hey PastorGordon, though I don't do anything with colloidal silver, I've seen how people use lasers for inspecting the silver content of the water they're producing. You don't need anything more than a simple pre-wired laser module for your colloidal silver. Anything more and you might blind yourself from the light bouncing off the glass.

You don't need a fancy rig at all. I would buy a cheap module like this one and connect it to two (2x) AA batteries in series. You can use a battery box like this, which comes with a switch. No need for resistors, or drivers, or even your 9V battery. Just solder the leads together, put a battery in, and turn on the switch. Super cheap, and only like $10 total. You can even drop another $9 for a mount to hold the laser too, which could come in handy.

Also, if you reaaaaally need that 9V supply, you could buy a cheap DC-DC converter for about the price of that battery holder above on Amazon. Overkill, sure, but if it's all gotta come from one power source that'll do it. The AA batteries will last near forever though.

Last edited:
Hey PastorGordon, though I don't do anything with colloidal silver, I've seen how people use lasers for inspecting the silver content of the water they're producing. You don't need anything more than a simple pre-wired laser module for your colloidal silver. Anything more and you might blind yourself from the light bouncing off the glass.

You don't need a fancy rig at all. I would buy a cheap module like this one and connect it to two (2x) AA batteries in series. You can use a battery box like this, which comes with a switch. No need for resistors, or drivers, or even your 9V battery. Just solder the leads together, put a battery in, and turn on the switch. Super cheap, and only like $10 total. You can even drop another $9 for a mount to hold the laser too, which could come in handy.

Also, if you reaaaaally need that 9V supply, you could buy a cheap DC-DC converter for about the price of that battery holder above on Amazon. Overkill, sure, but if it's all gotta come from one power source that'll do it. The AA batteries will last near forever though.

Well, the whole point of doing this is to have a laser built into the box that shines straight down. It has to be so simple that either a 9 year old or a 70 year old person can do it without much effort...

As far as the laser module, I am going to use one very similar to the one you linked too. However, it needs to be powered from the same source as the colloidal silver generator inside the box, which is why I needed to design a 3v output on the circuit board. This design is very small, it will fit on the top of a mason jar lid. The circuit board itself is less than 2 inches square.