Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Laser diode repair

:wave: hi everybody, recently my laser diode is broken and i have to do some repairs it works pretty well...

It's Alive!!!...

Attachments

• image-2016-06-13 (1).jpg
    image-2016-06-13 (1).jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 407
  • image-2016-06-13 (3).jpg
    image-2016-06-13 (3).jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 252
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:

Rivem

How the heck did you manage that?

I could see shooting in the dark with a really fine-tipped soldering iron, but I feel like it wouldn't work after that.

However you did it, very impressive if it works okay.

GSS

I would think having a surgeon's steady hand is a good start. "Heating up a sewing needle"?

diachi

You repaired a laser diode?! What kind of sorcery is this?! How'd you do it?

Replacing/adding wire bonds on LD's isn't impossible to do at home - pretty sure Sam's FAQ has a section on properly mounting bare dies and connecting them up.

That said, this doesn't look like it should work... But I've seen a lot of things that don't look like they should work and still did. Just the gauge of that copper wire alone is huge compared to regular wire bonds.

OP - any chance of some pictures of this actually working?

Edit: Found the section I was talking about: http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/lasercds.htm#cdsmlbc

Last edited:
Hi,
Congratulations this is a first attempted resurrection that i know amazing . Good luck my man.

Rich:)

hi, the diode 3B class was extracted from DVD burner, and was broken because the voltage power supply is exceeded, to do this kind of repair i soldered the copper wire in a p-n junction of the semiconductor diode, i use a JBC solder station, YOKO microscope 10X to 20X alpha indium solder wire, and liquid flux i believe the new reparation the diode works well on over-voltage and current parameters maybe turn it to 1W or more, but i need to do more test adding a heatsink and Peltier Cooling Module....

best regards...:)

Last edited: