Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Greetings from Oklahoma!

Wheatfie1d

Hello! I'm an architecture student at the University of Oklahoma, and I am trying to get into the laser hobby. I've been interested since I was 10 years old, and would beg my mom to get me the Wicked Lasers Arctic. Thankfully she never did, but now I'm a fully grown tinkerer with a little bit of experience working with electronics and I want to build my own blue laser "pointer." I always love a challenge and learning from hands on experience, regardless of what I'm doing. I've been doing research across the internet over the past couple weeks but I wanted to sign up and get some real input because I know this isn't a joke and I want to make sure I do things right the first time.

I was planning on building a 1w handheld laser similar to the one in this video:

I have found almost all of the parts I need online, but there are a few reasons I'm looking for alternatives instead.

1. I would like to spend less than $65, so some used parts would be ideal.
2. I would prefer a host that fits 18650 batteries because I already have plenty of them
3. I am unsure of the compatibility between certain diodes and drivers and host size/type.

Any tips recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

- Whit

P.S. I have done extensive research on the dangers, laws, and proper safety procedures for working with powerful lasers like the one I'm trying to make.

Last edited:

Encap

Welcome and enjoy the forum.

FYI for the budget you have in mind you can purchase a complete functional new 1W+ 445/450nm blue hand held laser these days.-
if you don't want to build one yourself which will probably cost more than $65 everything included to be able to build it as well --depending upon several factors --host quality , diode and drive choice.

There are several established builder on LPF than can make you an excellent quality above normal manufactured units that are 1W+ blue art very reasonable prices as well.

Either way safety comes first always ---get good laser goggles/glasses to protect your eyes.

For good quality new diodes, drivers, modules and lenses see: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/

You can buy good hosts, parts and safety goggles/glasses or complete kits less the diode here: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/

Study up on all aspect of laser safety at this excellent web site: https://www.laserpointersafety.com/

Last edited:

ManCave

Hello, Whit! and welcome to the forums!
Your mum was a wise parent when she refused to give you the WL at 10 years of age.
Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome to the LPF, Whit. As Encap has already said you can buy a laser pointer in this wavelength and optical power for less than it would cost you to build one. That said, if you insist on still building one you might as well go for a 2 watt as the M140 diodes are still available and on eBay too. Drive it at 1.8 amps and use a short focal length single element aspheric lens from China. These are not quite as good as the ones DTR sells, but cheaper and you will likely never notice a difference. I would use a buck driver and you can use two 18650s. Back when I was building many of these it cost me ~$150.00 to build just one. All top quality parts though.

Wheatfie1d

Welcome to the LPF, Whit. As Encap has already said you can buy a laser pointer in this wavelength and optical power for less than it would cost you to build one. That said, if you insist on still building one you might as well go for a 2 watt as the M140 diodes are still available and on eBay too. Drive it at 1.8 amps and use a short focal length single element aspheric lens from China. These are not quite as good as the ones DTR sells, but cheaper and you will likely never notice a difference. I would use a buck driver and you can use two 18650s. Back when I was building many of these it cost me ~$150.00 to build just one. All top quality parts though.

Thanks, this is pretty helpful. I'm okay with spending a little more, but I also need safety glasses and I'm trying to keep everything under $100. I'm thinking of using a $43 Osram PLTB450B 1.6W 450nm diode/module/glass lens from DTR on ebay with the bargain c6 host bundle from Survival Lasers with a 1.8A driver for $35. SL says the host is for 123 batteries or "18650 depending on the diode." Would this setup work well with a single 18650?

Thanks, this is pretty helpful. I'm okay with spending a little more, but I also need safety glasses and I'm trying to keep everything under $100. I'm thinking of using a $43 Osram PLTB450B 1.6W 450nm diode/module/glass lens from DTR on ebay with the bargain c6 host bundle from Survival Lasers with a 1.8A driver for $35. SL says the host is for 123 batteries or "18650 depending on the diode." Would this setup work well with a single 18650?

No, you would need to switch to 16340s because the buck driver needs the input voltage to exceed the output. One 18650 would not be able to do that.

Wheatfie1d

No, you would need to switch to 16340s because the buck driver needs the input voltage to exceed the output. One 18650 would not be able to do that.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! Now the only question I have is wether or not I can get a pair of 450nm goggles anywhere for around $25 or less. If not, do you think any members on here would happen to have a couple extras I could take off of their hands for a few bucks? Although I'm just worried about buying used goggles from someone I don't trust.

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! Now the only question I have is wether or not I can get a pair of 450nm goggles anywhere for around $25 or less. If not, do you think any members on here would happen to have a couple extras I could take off of their hands for a few bucks? Although I'm just worried about buying used goggles from someone I don't trust.

The only option you have is to buy some cheap Chinese goggles. They are not nearly as good as the Eagles, but they are better than nothing. Primarily, just be aware of glass and mirrored surfaces. If you don't get specular reflections you won't have to find out how good they are. If you go the cheap route test them with your laser on a part that won't matter if they are effected. Like the side of the goggles.

Encap

That makes a lot of sense. Thank you! Now the only question I have is whether or not I can get a pair of 450nm goggles anywhere for around $25 or less. If not, do you think any members on here would happen to have a couple extras I could take off of their hands for a few bucks? Although I'm just worried about buying used goggles from someone I don't trust.

Don't let PALDSD ( Post Arctic Laser Denial Stress Disorder) overwhelm you wallet and common sense

Don't skimp on laser safety goggles/glasses----get a, relative to expensive ones, low cost Eagle Pair offering excellent protection---they are about min price for good lasers glasses/googles See: https://www.survivallaserusa.com/Safety_Goggles/cat1667093_1527285.aspx
They are also available for several different vendors just google "Eagle Pair" -- average the cost over a lifetime of using and needing your eyesight to be as good as it can be. --Regard them as an investment in your future and being able to safely use the laser you will build or purchase- or any other laser you get your hands on one way or another.

At high output powers of 1W+ you can easily do permanent ocular damage blindingly fast , no pun intended--- in less time than the human blink reflex time of 0.25 seconds.

See this knowledgeable members laser accident experience: https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/hit-in-eye-with-1000mw-445nm-blue-laser.69469/

See this Laser Hazard Chart of output power vis a vis distance from the laser source https://www.lasersafetyfacts.com/resources/FAA---visible-laser-hazard-calcs-for-LSF-v02.png:

Welcome to our Planet 🌑

LOL (y)