Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wifi controlled Analog RGB Laser modulation.

Sumfinclever

I was going to add this as a response to an older post ()but didn't want to revive a dead thread. In working on a different project involving WS2812 LEDs, I learned of the WLED project. WLED is a lightweight network enabled LED controller designed to run on ubiquitous and inexpensive ESP32 and ESP8266 boards (ideally in combination with a 5V level shifter). In setting one up, I discovered that it works not only for addressable LEDs, but also for regular 'dumb' RGB leds with a wire for each color. For those unfamiliar, these LEDs modulate color of the whole strip, based on a value range of 0 to 5v on the RGB pins and a common cathode. It occurred to me that I could probably use the same 0-5V signals to modulate the color of some cheap RGB laser modules I had on hand. These already had 3 channel analog drivers onboard.

So I installed WLED on another esp8266, (with a level shifter on 3x outputs), and a small boost converter to power everything via USB. Configured WLED for access via wifi, and for 3 wire color control. Much to my amazement, it worked great. I can connect to the ESP ad-hoc or over my wifi network, which opens the WLED app on my phone. This allows me to control power, brightness, Color, and even modulate it according to audio input or according to programs. Not entirely practical for much, but thought ya'll might appreciate the results. Bottom link is a video of the color being modulated.

Sumfinclever

Thanks amigo, it's not eloquent but it changes color smoothly and adds a couple neat functions. Really wish I had the schematic for this little analog RGB driver though. Want to miniaturize it and integrate a power supply and an esp.