Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Is this battery safe for lasers?

It's from a company called Liion, and the name of the battery is Vapcell. Sounds like it's designed to use in a Vaping (E-cigarette) device, right? But when trying to order it, I get this warning message:

This product is an unprotected lithium ion cell. These products are not typically meant for consumers as misuse can cause a fire or explosion which can cause INJURY or DEATH.

This battery is NOT designed nor intended to be used with an E-CIGARETTE, VAPORIZER, or other device that uses loose cells and MUST NOT be used with such devices due to RISK OF FIRE or EXPLOSION.

Cells must be kept in a protective case or box to protect from short circuits. Never put them loose in a pocket or purse - if they touch something metal they can explode. Always make sure the cell wrapper is in perfect condition. See the full list of warnings on the product page.

If purchasing this battery for resale purposes, you MUST forward ALL warnings to ALL customers for their reference and safety!

------------

I don't plan on using it to Vape, but in a laser that requires a 3A continuous current. I get the impression that lasers are a high-drain device, just as a vaping device is. So, is this battery laser-safe?

Yes, Vapcells are great for lasers if you respect them. Don't short them, over charge or over discharge them and they will be perfect. When I made my 22W pointer I specifically chose Vapcells for their high discharge rate which was necessary for the laser.

Reactions: GSS
Yes, Vapcells are great for lasers if you respect them. Don't short them, over charge or over discharge them and they will be perfect. When I made my 22W pointer I specifically chose Vapcells for their high discharge rate which was necessary for the laser.

Whew! I didn't know lasers were getting to be that powerful.
Thank you for assuring me about Vapcells. I'm looking to get a 700mw green laser that requires a 3A continuous output battery, and it looks like this one should be good for it.
You told me in another thread that the Sofirn battery I have from a flashlight would only put out .5 to maybe .75A. What do you think would happen if I were to try using it in a laser that requires 3A? Would it hurt the battery or the laser? https://laserpointerforums.com/threads/battery-amps-and-brand.111321/post-1624415

I can't see a 700mW green pulling 3A unless it was a DPSS green using a 3W pump diode. Nevertheless, if the laser does attempt to pull 3A from a battery that can't support it you'll see decreased output from the laser and possible damage to the battery.

loreadarkshade

I can't see a 700mW green pulling 3A unless it was a DPSS green using a 3W pump diode. Nevertheless, if the laser does attempt to pull 3A from a battery that can't support it you'll see decreased output from the laser and possible damage to the battery.
He is talking about my C3 700mW 520nm. It pulls around 2.2A from the battery, as it is a boost driver and needs more amperage to push 1.7A to the laser diode. 3A was just to be conservative :)

I've purchased many Li-ion cells from Lionwholesale.com. They test each cell prior to sending them out and have only praise for their batteries.

Last edited:
He is talking about my C3 700mW 520nm. It pulls around 2.2A from the battery, as it is a boost driver and needs more amperage to push 1.7A to the laser diode. 3A was just to be conservative :)
Ahh that makes sense, a single battery. Most of my stuff use two cells in series so the battery current draw is often less than diode current thanks to having to step down the voltage.

I've purchased many Li-ion cells from Lionwholesale.com. They test each cell prior to sending them out and have only praise for their batteries.
Thanks! That's good to know. I'll order my 14500 battery from them if it turns out I ended up needing it. I have a battery that doesn't specify it's AMP output, but I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I'll get a 3A one from Liionwholesale.
Funny thing I noticed is that they seem to charge the same amount of money for 3A as for 10A:

Seems to make sense to just get the 10A, unless there's a difference between them I'm not seeing (other than the 10A being out of stock).

Thanks! That's good to know. I'll order my 14500 battery from them if it turns out I ended up needing it. I have a battery that doesn't specify it's AMP output, but I'll give it a try. If it doesn't work out, I'll get a 3A one from Liionwholesale.
Funny thing I noticed is that they seem to charge the same amount of money for 3A as for 10A:

Seems to make sense to just get the 10A, unless there's a difference between them I'm not seeing (other than the 10A being out of stock).

They do charge for shipping. At least they did last time I purchased batteries from them. That is why you get a better deal when you buy all that you think you'll need at the same time.

They do charge for shipping. At least they did last time I purchased batteries from them. That is why you get a better deal when you buy all that you think you'll need at the same time.
For the laser I'm getting I only need one battery. Just wasn't sure why the 3A version and the 10A version would be the same price. Seems that a higher-spec one would cost more.

For the laser I'm getting I only need one battery. Just wasn't sure why the 3A version and the 10A version would be the same price. Seems that a higher-spec one would cost more.
I didn't look at these specifically. But, my guess is the 3 amp is a protected cell and the 10 amp isn't.

They both appear to be unprotected button top batteries, trading current caring capability for overall capacity -> 3A @ 1250mAh versus 10A @ 1000mAh.

They both appear to be unprotected button top batteries, trading current caring capability for overall capacity -> 3A @ 1250mAh versus 10A @ 1000mAh.

Ah, so that's it. One can supply 1250mAh and the other 1000mAh. These are tiny batteries. I wouldn't expect their price to be much different considering what they can actually supply.

Typically the formulations that yield a higher discharge rate, such as IMR/INR also have a lower total capacity ( mAh ) and vise versa.
Also if your lasers driver is a boost driver then you need more current from the battery.

Note: The first 2 numbers tell us the dia. and the last 3 tell us the length, for example an 18650 is 18mm wide and 65.0mm long, note the decimal point is only used between the 4th and 5th digits.

Typically the formulations that yield a higher discharge rate, such as IMR/INR also have a lower total capacity ( mAh ) and vise versa.
Also if your lasers driver is a boost driver then you need more current from the battery.

Note: The first 2 numbers tell us the dia. and the last 3 tell us the length, for example an 18650 is 18mm wide and 65.0mm long, note the decimal point is only used between the 4th and 5th digits.
That's something I never knew about the numerical battery designations. Interesting!