Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Cheap violet-emitting laser pens

The LED (& Laser) Museum

I snagged a violet laser pen from Ebay not long ago; it is very over spec.
Looks like ~45mW at ~410nm, and it cost me $2.16 including shipping.

It is published to have an output of 1mW.

Here is their Ebay shop.

I no longer own or have access to a spectrometer or a LPM so I have to "eyeball" those values, but I've gotten pretty good over the years.

Those cheap pens are remarkable when you consider at the beginning of the Blu-Ray revolution we were ripping apart super expensive players for 10mW's of violet. My last pen laser of that style was 60mW @ 409nm, amazing for just a couple bucks!

I remember my first violet laser in 2007 was a Wicked Lasers Sonar; it gave me 11.6mW pulsed (1.93mW avg.) at a cost of 11,608.3 CNY ($1,732.19) in 2010 dollars.

I didn't have that kind of money back then, but I day dreamed about that laser a lot. Eventually I would pickup one of the HD DVD add-ons for the Xbox for something like $120 to build my first violet. Those were the good ol' days

I looked over the other 31 violet-emitting laser reviews on my website, prices range from 99¢to $1,732.19 (typically in the $10 range) and most of them are way overspec.
Most of then were spec'd at 5mW but were in the 15mW to 80mW range.