Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Anti Black Hole

i remember myself and my best friend last year discussing if anti-matter could exist, i'll create a topic for that.

usually there are inverse stuff for the regular ones (confusing?)

my point is

can there be something such to be an "Anti black hole"?

I think I heard about something called a white hole one time, but I don't remember for sure. Basically it was supposedly the 'other side' of the black hole which is more or less preposterous. Then again, who am I to say it's not true. We don't really have a clue at all.

Antimatter exists...it exists right here on earth. If you have ever heard of a PET scan you'll see that it uses positrons (antimatter electrons).

Current theory suggests that almost equal amounts of matter and antimatter were created in the big bang but because of the slight difference in symmetry most of the antimatter annihilated with matter leaving the universe as a matter universe. There was a lot of matter in the universe when it first began. Of course it was only particles (quarks, gluons, neurtrinos, then hadrons like neutrons and protons), but it was there. The annihilation occurred quite rapidly as the expansion was only about 3 minutes old when the last of the annihilations happened.

Switch

john_lawson said:
white hoe I know her oops hole nevermind :-X
Very constructive :D

Anyway, what would a white hole be? Something with 0 gravity, or negative gravity? :-/ And how did antimatter got annihilated?

Like particles of matter and antimatter react to form energy in a 100% efficient reaction. Therefore, as an example:

electron (e[sup]-[/sup]) + positron (e[sup]+[/sup]) ----> energy.

You can use the famous E=mc[sup]2[/sup] equation to figure the total energy released.

Mass of e[sup]-[/sup] = 9.11 × 10[sup]-31[/sup] kg
Mass of e[sup]+[/sup] = 9.11 × 10[sup]-31[/sup] kg
And c = 300,000,000 m/s (speed of light)

Now this is not entirely accurate as this is a calculated rest mass for electrons. Particle mass in physics is measured in eV or electron volts because this takes into account its motion but for this example we'll use rest kilogram estimate so that the results will be something familiar to everyone.

E = (9.11 × 10[sup]-31[/sup] kg + 9.11 × 10[sup]-31[/sup] kg)(3 x 10[sup]8[/sup])[sup]2[/sup]

E = (1.822 x 10[sup]-30[/sup]) (9 x 10[sup]16[/sup])

E = 1.64 x 10[sup]-13[/sup] Joules for a single electron/positron annihilation

Doesn't seem like much but what if you had 1 kilo total matter/antimatter

E = (1 kg)(9 x 10[sup]16[/sup])

E = 9 x 10[sup]16[/sup] Joules or 90,000,000,000,000,000 Joules

Whoops I was an order of magnitude off on the example of destruction I just posted so here is the corrected energy equivalent: 21.5 megatons of TNT.

VW

All I know about anti matter is that supposedly if matter and it's anti matter counterpart were to come into contact, they would implode imidiately...