Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Question about Nova X Optics holder and set

I got the x series optics set from Nova with my x-100 yesterday. I thought it was supposed to come with a line generator and collimator. The line generator works fine, but when I use the collimator, it just seems to make a circle about 8-10 inches. AM i doing something wrong with it? It didn't come with any instructions. I tried flipping it around as well.

I also got a minuscus lens, but it is much smaller and is too small for the optics holder.

No, the collimator only collimates uncollimated light. Your laser's beam is already collimated so it will just expand it.

That meniscus lens must be tiny...

RA_pierce said:
No, the collimator only collimates uncollimated light. Your laser's beam is already collimated so it will just expand it.

That meniscus lens must be tiny...

On their site it says that the x-100 can't light matches without the collimator lens, but it can with the collimator accessory. Why would they put that on the chart then i wonder? It's the only reason I bought that accessory. I guess I wasted $25.... :'(

abadcaffeinetrip said:
I have the kit and 2 things to note:

1 - the x100 can easily light matches unaided.  Just make sure that the match is a safe distance from the aperture to prevent damage to the lens.  

2 - the collimator will help in lighting - it focuses the beam before it expands.  Pardon the ASCII art, but it works this (incoming)===><(narrow point)< (much wider).  

Yeah I noticed #1 to be true. I haven't tried the collimator at very many different distances so I'll give that a shot. that makes sense though, i see what you are saying. thanks for the responses! Now I need more various lenses. I actually fond that the front lense off of a flood lamp, the big glass ones with bums all over it, makes pretty cool effects. Would like to get some more.

do you have safety goggles
otherwise u would have a really hard time finding the smallest dot at x distance

me_too_lazy said:
do you have safety goggles
otherwise u would have a really hard time finding the smallest dot at x distance

You don't need to use safety goggles...
Just blast the beam through a thick glass prism or some fog and look at the beam. That way you don't have to stare at the dot- you can see where it converges.
On NOVA's site they say it has a focal length of 12mm... it might be a little too close for burning. You'd get particles of whatever you're burning on your lens. Matches would probably destroy it when they ignite...

VW

Any good laser above 75mW should light a match, I have no idea why they would say you need optics to burn. Still a cool set though, was thinking of picking it up my self...