Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

homemade 405nm blueray laser

Steve --

I'm not sure you understand SanKat's suggestion. Don't touch the diode !!
The back of the lens holder usually has a small apperature going to the lens. This can block 15 to 30% of the divergent beam output sending it to neverland where it might bleach out that Jackson guy !!!!!
Anyway, using a sharp bit "IN HAND" carefully open the hole to the lens -- then blow out the crap. Don't let the bit touch the lens.

Mike

yes, I did not understand. I thought he was talking about removing the diode window...

sorry.

S

SenKat

No worries, Steve ! You gotta be REALLY careful doing that - I already had one lense bite the dust by scratching the crap out of it on my first try - too heavy handed, I guess....

SenKat said:
Okay - try this :  take a small drill bit - pull the lense out of the diode housing - look at the back side of it - now, CAREFULLY remove some of the "extra" plastic around the aperature of the lense....be very careful to not scratch the lense - maybe with more surface area on the lense it will focus better....
thats what i did exept i used a razor blade to cut out the extra plastic.

Aaron --
You should have been a sturgon oops maybe a doctor !! ;D
Did the prescription help ??
Mike

I think he meant that cutting away the plastic may have been "just what the doctor ordered" - i.e. prescription

i found the problem!!!! it was the variable resistor i was using! i got rid of the 100 ohm resistor because it was set at 0 ohms and now it is running at 6v and 100 ma!!!the resistor was causing a 2-3v drop so the laser was only getting 3-4v.
i blew one of my diodes though :( i was making a quick little board for it and i accidentally shorted the laser straight to the battery there was a bright flash of violet light then it was dead. it dosent even give a dim glow. that was the weaker diode though, i have the stronger one running now and in sure its one of the write diodes, theres no way 10-15mw of 405nm light is this bright it has to be 30-40mw i can see the beam if it is dark :).

Attachments

• 100_2104.JPG
    100_2104.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 1,392
heres a picture of the beam in a dark smoky room (the camera makes it appear bright blue)

Attachments

• Resize_Wizard-7.jpg
    Resize_Wizard-7.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 126
S

SenKat

Aaron - yer killin me !!! I am gonna have to break down and get some blu-ray diodes soon...I gotta get my Argon up and running first, though ! :cool:

oooh post lots of pictures of your argon when its going :D ive got another violet laser in the mail ;) im going to sell this one once its into a good case for $350 on ebay. if anyone wants to buy it pm me ;).