Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Eye glasses ruin the beam of 405nm lasers?

I have pairs for nearsightedness, one clear and one transition. I never really thought about it before, but I do believe they cut UV considerably.

Benm

This is just to material the lenses are made off. They are probably polycarbonate, which as a pretty steep cut-off in transmission around 400 nm.

The exact cut-off wavelength depends on the composition of the polymer since it's often more than pure polycarbonate, but could easily explain why they (partially) block 405 nm light, a further UV light like blacklights completely.

Under normal circumstances this is not a problem: this light is not very visible to begin with, and it carries little information either. The glasses will not look coloured or anything. A possible upside of using this material is that it actually blocks UV light getting in your eyes which could reduce the risk of cataracts developing from sunlight exposure and such - essentially it has sunglass protection built in by default :)

As Benm said this is specific to poly glasses. I have some old ones made of glass and they don't filter out 405nm at all.
Also some new poly ones have a filter meant to remove most of the low-WL blue in order to decrease "blue light hazard". IMO that is bullshit and I stay away from them.

Benm

It's a basic property of polycarbonate though, it has a very sharp cut-off in transmission around 400 nm. For ordinary applications this is rarely noticeable, certainly not to how things look (it doesnt have a yellow tint or anything like that).

One practical difference is that you cannot get a sun tan (or burn) through polycarbonate windows, while you can through ordinary float glass ones. This could happen for example in a car with strong sunlight from the side (the windshield usually is a laminate construction that blocks most uv, side windows are usually tempered glass that does not block it that well).

As for doing it on purpose: I suppose some companies will offer blue-limiting filters, probably at a premium price, just as they do anti-glare and scratch resistant coatings.

Plain polycarbonate glasses block UV, so do high-index (extra thin) glasses. Nothing can be done about this since it's just a material property, apart from getting glasses that are made out of actual glass (quite rare these days).