Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ehgemus powdercoat experiment

Hello guys!

So i recently aquired powdercoat apparatus and i wanted to try it out on an ehgemus host!

I used special matt black textured grippy powdercoat which came out pretty sweet!

This is my first laser that i powdercoated.

Here is how it came out:

ECE97601-B9A7-4914-8029-648BAD41EEF0_zpsrl59mhvq.jpg

You can really see the texturing on this picture! It is very scratch resistant and fingerprint friendly! :D

But now for the awesome part! I did not know this until afterwards. It seems when you polish the host before powdercoating (polished alluminum) that this has a special effect in the sun!

Here are two more pics so you see what i mean:

93D2D77C-C679-4C7B-B50F-B3987EB97168_zps3mkdxjwl.jpg

CE907C8F-41D9-4061-A83F-F9FF38FA758B_zpsuawasnz7.jpg

You see? In the sun you can see the polished trough the powdercoat! I cant explain this because i used a good ammount of powder and in the shade it looks very black!

Let me know what you guys think! I am allways a fan of polished hosts but i also find this experimenting fun :)

Now for what to build in it :) :beer:

Greetings,,

Last edited:

gismo

Different and refreshing, Robin:beer:. This Ehgemus surface adjusted host looks awesome picture-wise, I can only imagine it's a lot cooler looking and if feeling it "live". Trying to imagine the 1W of forest green in it...

I wonder how much scratch resistant is it, this specific powder-coat material you've applied? If it holds enough, that would make it even more precious!

Last edited:
Wow, looks really nice, great job! +1

I'm sure the tulips(?) appreciate it too. :D

Tmack

Very rugged looking . Would love to send you my maglite to get it done!

Last edited:

sinner

Epic powdercoat is epic, I think it looks very unique. You should try different thickness layers too +1 for awesome finish

Cel

Nice, very nice!

Enhanced grip :D

Just a thought: a grooved host with just grooves painted in black would look pretty, too.

I wonder how much scratch resistant is it, this specific powder-coat material you've applied? If it holds enough, that would make it even more precious!

Powdercoat is very strong. I had my rims on my done with the stuff and it is never going to get damaged unless i crash onto a sidewalk.

Very rugged looking . Would love to send you my maglite to get it done!

Then i would need a bigger oven i think :p and more time! It is pretty time consuming to do it right :)

Looks really cool. Texture wise, how does it feel?

Feel kinda like a skateboard grip. Only less gritty and smoother.

Epic powdercoat is epic, I think it looks very unique. You should try different thickness layers too +1 for awesome finish

Thanks for all the nice comments guys :)

I think indeed the new 1W green would look nice in it. But i think the host is to small for the heat. Also i still find the diode too expensive (greedy dutch :p )

So i am just gonna leave the host unbuilt untill i know what it is going to be :)

Greetings, :beer:

I actually really like this look... would be interested in seeing folks try this with a variety of hosts. Thanks for sharing...
c