Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Advice on laser for engraving

Hello! What a big time since my last activity! :)

I have a laser printer/engraver that is powered by a 1,6W 450nm laser module and I can get pretty sharp and deep contrast pictures on MDF sheets.

The best speed for printing is 1400mm/min which is very slow, but was the fastest the machine could achieve when it was assembled. Now, it was optimized and can go as fast as 2500mm/min, the maximum speed I tried was 2000mm/min which prints a image that lacks the deep contrast.

The size of my machine is 305X600mm, when printing a full size image, the time needed ranges between 20 and 22 hours.
I also use the machine to cut EVA sheets (cuts at 250mm/min speed) and would like to use it to cut 3mm MDF, but since I don't have air assist it is not the priority.

I'm willing to upgrade the laser module so the image get's darker on fast speeds, I have choosen this module from Aliexpress, it has a great value and little price difference between 2,5W and 3,5W output.

Since I know the blue diodes are multimode ones, does increasing the power makes the printed image less detailed due to the bigger fat beam? If you have a better laser module to recomment from Aliexpress let me know. ;)