Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

35mw Wicked Laser - general use dangerous?

Hey, new here.

I was just wondering if using a wicked lasers executive 35mw laser for general use (for instace - like a flashlight - finding keys - pointing at floor infront of you in dark wooded area) would be dangerous?

I mean, looking at the beam on the wall, not directly into it, but just the green dot - can this cause damage?

Should I purchase a 5mw or stick am I safe to stick with the 35mw

Sorry if my question is vague or not worded too well, appreciate any advice.

simple answer: YES. Don't use a laser like a flashlight for any reason. Even the 5mW units can cause serious damage if used in the dark like this.

Here's why:
In the dark, your eyes are dilated to let in much more light. Your eyes act like a lens, and can focus the intense light emitted even from a laser reflection into a pinpoint dot that will burn your retina. Despite the claims of IIIa (<5mW) lasers being relatively safe, they can still cause serious harm under the right (or in this case wrong) conditions. Extreme darkness and dilated pupils are factors that raise the chances of injury exponentially. Besides, there's no telling what may be on the ground. This could be as simple as polished/highly reflective mica or other shiny stone content, plastic wrappers discarded by someone, or even metal scraps, strips, or markers on the ground. Even someone's shiny key can easily reflect enough laser light to do irreparable harm. Ever wonder why CD players come with a warning to not look into the beam? That tiny, barely visible, low power laser can still burn your eyes out without you knowing it.

You'd be far better off with a simple, cheap dollar store LED keychain flashlight. It may still be bright and can temporarily blind you from a strong reflection, but at least those won't do you permanent injury.

Thanks for the reply. I really over-estimated the power of these things. I played with the 35mw for the first day, and my eyes feel quite achy afterwards. No pain just a dull ache. Don't think Ive (hope I havnt) caused any damage yet but will think about returning the laser as its simply a cool gadget and is really way too powerful and dangerous to have for that reason alone.

Im just a sucker for gadgets and thought i could apply this to be useful in a few random situations (to justify having it!)

Cheers for info

If you do decide to return it, I wish you luck. You will be fighting an uphill battle against poor customer service, and according to some of the forum members, you may be lucky if you actually receive a refund when it's all done.

As far as your eyes feeling achy, there is a reason for it. You have done damage. Whether permanent or not is yet to be seen. That amount of power can still do serious harm even in a well lit room. If you choose to keep your laser, your next purchase should be a set of laser goggles, and maybe a lock-box for the both to make sure no one else can get to it (if others live with you).

Lasers are most definitely a powerful tool, and as such, they demand as much respect as one would give to a firearm.

Anyway, welcome to the forums. I'm only sorry that the first post resulted in a less than pleasing answer. I hope the rest of your time spent here is more pleasant. :)

I occasionally use my greenie to light the room. I point it at the ceiling and don't look at the spot.
If you need a flashlight, get one of the new 1 to 3 watt LED flashlights. They will be better and you will be impressed with them.
A laser doesn't make a good flashlight.

Mike

Appreciate all the replies guys. My eyes feel alot better today.

Iv'e read elsewhere that wicked lasers have an excellent customer service, is this not the case?

I definately have decided to return the laser and have just emailed them requesting a returns number. Have people here experienced real trouble when trying to return a Wicked Laser then?

I'll leave any further replies on the topic of returns to those that have personally experienced it. Since I have avoided the company for all but safety goggles, I have yet to deal with their customer support in general. I wish you the best in your efforts, and hope that it goes smoothly for you.
As far as what you read elsewhere, please be aware that there are places that happen to be under the control of said company, and others that may feed misinformation or even just show a heavy bias. I can't claim that this place is completely unbiased, but as far as getting information that comes down to a view of others' opinions, especially on something that can affect finances, I do recommend checking multiple sources just in case one may be swayed heavily.

S

SenKat

Morningfox - I guess it really depends on who posted that info, and WHERE it was posted ! If you read it on a forum OTHER than Wicked's - it could have been a true experience, as their customer service in the past has been very good - I have heard the opposite of what you have though when it comes to dealing with them - horror stories of them waiting until the 7 day period is expired prior to replying to your email, thus cheating hte system, but I do think you will be able to get your money back, you just may have to turn into something you do not like in order to get it to happen. You need to rely heavily on their own guarantee - if not 100% satsified, total refund within 7 das, right ? Keep THEIR rules firmly in mind when dealing with them.

Again, thanks for the replies.

SenKat: I emailed them yesterday asking for the returns code, and they have replied today asking me for details etc.

I was quick to include in the email that I would like a reply before my legal right to return it runs out after 7 days.

I'll keep you all updated on how the whole process goes.

Cheers guys

Just received a mail from wicked lasers with all the info I need to return the Laser. All seems good so far.